Controversies not new for PomersbachMay 18th, 2012 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) Australian crickter Luke Pomersbach, who was arrested here Thursday for allegedly molesting an American woman, has had a controversial past. Back home, he has been penalised for multiple off-the-field incidents.
Pomersbach was suspended from state side Western Australia in November 2007 for drinking alcohol right after a match against Queensland.
Almost two years later, the 27-year-old was booked for a drink and drive case with the alcohol levels in his body exceeding the stipulated limit. Pomersbach not only refused to accompany the police after the incident, he ended up assaulting a public officer. He pleaded guilty later, leading to a fine and the cancellation of his driver’s licence. The Western Australia Cricket Association (WACA) barred him from the game for an indefinite period.
In October 2011, Pomersbach pulled out of his contractual obligations for Western Australia and Big Bash League side Perth Scorchers citing depression. He has also been to a rehabilitation centre for alcohol related problems.
However, there was no dearth of talent in the batsman. Pomersbach was awarded the Bradman Young Player of the Year in 2008.
His only game for Australia came in unusual circumstances. He was called to replace injured Brad Hodge in the T20 side for a game against New Zealand in 2007 at a time when he was entering the stadium as a spectator. He ended the day hitting a seven-ball 15 in his team’s victory.
He represented Kings XI Punjab before moving to Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League.
- Double whammy hits IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double trouble for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Second Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double blow for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Arrested cricketer won't play for RCB, says Mallya - May 18, 2012
- Pomersbach suspended for assaulting a police officer - Aug 10, 2009
- Siddharth Mallya questions victim's character, losses cool - May 18, 2012
- Pomersbach's lawyer denies he has confessed (Second Lead, Superseding earlier story) - May 21, 2012
- Luke Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman - May 21, 2012
- Sydney Thunder laps up Gayle for Big Bash - Jun 30, 2011
- Australian IPL player arrested for molesting woman, claims innocence (Third Lead) - May 18, 2012
- IPL player in custody for molestation (Second Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Australian Katich retires from first class cricket - Jun 12, 2012
- IPL player Luke Pomersbach gets bail (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- IPL molestation case: Victim's fiancee backs her version - May 20, 2012
Tags: alcohol levels, alcohol related problems, american woman, challengers, contractual obligations, controversies, cricket association, dearth, drinking alcohol, drive case, indefinite period, New Delhi, premier league, punjab, queensland, rehabilitation centre, scorchers, spectator, waca, western australia