Conte: We wasted a bonusMay 3rd, 2012 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 3 (IANS) Antonio Conte, head coach of Italian Serie A club Juventus, has admitted that his side “wasted a bonus” in their 1-1 draw against Lecce at home.
The Bianconeri’s three-point lead at the top of the table has been reduced to just one after the draw with Lecce Wednesday, as Gianluigi Buffon tried to dribble Andrea Bertolacci and was caught out, Xinhua reported.
“This is football,” said Conte. “It was a chaotic draw, but it’s not the first time this has happened. Today it was our turn to concede a strange goal.”
“It is another reason we need to grow, but obviously there are regrets, as we could’ve put a real marker on the Scudetto.
“If in the last two games we do well, then we will win the title, otherwise the other team will take it.
“We wasted a bonus and now are forced to win the next two matches. At the start of the season we’d all have been super-excited to be one point clear at the top of the table with two rounds to go.
“We are achieving extraordinary things and don’t forget we were coming off two seventh-place finishes in recent years.
“Buffon had an accident, as can happen when strikers miss goals. He is strong and experienced enough to react positively, seeing as so many times this season he has been decisive for us.
“We had several chances to double our lead, but were not precise. Drawing a game like this was totally unexpected. Probably the importance of the match took away some of our sharpness and put extra pressure on our shoulders.
“We’re unbeaten in 36 Serie A games and must do well to control our advantage in the next two weeks to make a dream come true,” he said.
- Juventus draw with Parma in Italian Serie A - Feb 16, 2012
- Buffon saves Totti's penalty to extend Juventus' unbeaten streak - Dec 13, 2011
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Buffon to extend Juventus deal - Sep 10, 2012
- Pirlo aims big for Juventus - Dec 12, 2011
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Juventus demand equal treatment on the pitch - Feb 17, 2012
- AC Milan win, Juventus held - Mar 04, 2012
- Nothing is decided yet, says Milan coach - Apr 23, 2012
- Conte hails super-extraordinary Juve - May 07, 2012
- Buffon to finish his career in Juventus, says agent - Sep 17, 2011
- Juventus will write history, feels Conte - Apr 26, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
Tags: andrea, antonio conte, bianconeri, club juventus, dribble, extra pressure, extraordinary things, gianluigi buffon, head coach, italian serie, lecce, marker, match, regrets, scudetto, sharpness, shoulders, strikers, two games, xinhua