Contador wins 2009 Tour de France, Armstrong finishes thirdJuly 27th, 2009 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Paris, July 26 (DPA) Alberto Contador won the 2009 Tour de France Sunday, the second Tour title of his career, outsprinting Luxembourg’s Andy Schleck and seven-time Tour champion Lance Armstrong.
The 26-year-old Contador’s margin over the 24-year-old Schleck was 4 minutes 11 seconds, the largest winning margin in several years. Armstrong was 5 minutes 25 seconds adrift to finish third in his comeback after four years away from the race.
Contador proved himself the strongest climber by far, and the Astana rider won one time trial and came in second in the other.
Teammate Armstrong appeared to suffer on several of the Alpine climbs, but he showed determination and some of his old power on the climb to the top of Mont Ventoux Saturday to retain his place on the podium.
The winner of Sunday’s stage, 164 km from Monterau-Fault-Yonne to the Champs Elysees in Paris, was the “British Rocket”, Mark Cavendish, who took his sixth stage win of this year’s Tour and the 10th in two years.
However, despite his domination in the sprints, he could not win the sprinters’ points title, which was taken by Norwegian Thor Hushovd, who won only one stage but ran a clever race.
Italian Franco Pellizotti won the Tour’s King of the Mountains title.
Cavendish’s Team Columbia mate Mark Renshaw finished second, with American Tyler Farrar coming in third.
The winner’s time was 4 hours 2 minutes 18 seconds, an average speed of 40.61 kph.
- 2009 Tour de France: Juan Manuel Garate's Race To Victory - Jul 26, 2009
- Stage 20 of Tour de France starts, last hurdle for Contador - Jul 25, 2009
- Stage 18 of the Tour, a crucial time trial, gets under way - Jul 23, 2009
- Stunning ride by Contador turns Vuelta on its head - Sep 06, 2012
- Stage 19 of Tour de France begins with Contador in driver's seat - Jul 24, 2009
- Armstrong's Tour de France dream bursts in Contador's wake - Jul 20, 2009
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Alberto Contador Winner Of 2009 Tour de France - Jul 27, 2009
- Tour de France Stage 11: Cavendish Wins - Jul 17, 2009
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
- Tour de France Stage 10 Results - Jul 15, 2009
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Dope-smeared' Tour de France champ claims to be a 'food contamination' victim - Oct 01, 2010
- Tour de France lovers already looking ahead to 2010 - Jul 27, 2009
Tags: alberto contador, andy schleck, average speed, cavendish, champion lance armstrong, champs elysees, dpa, franco pellizotti, lance armstrong, mate mark, mont ventoux, renshaw, sixth stage, thor hushovd, time tour, time trial, tour champion, tour de france, tour de france armstrong, tyler farrar