Confident with the squad we have: ClarkeAugust 4th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 4 (IANS) Australian cricket captain Michael Clarke has admitted that it would take some time for his team to get back among the best in Tests and said he was looking forward to an exciting series in Sri Lanka.
Clarke said he was excited at the prospect of leading a young Test side. Almost half the players of the side have the experience of playing five or less matches.
“I’m really confident with the squad we have. I love the fact we’ve got some new fresh faces that are excited and itching for their opportunity. I think that’s a great thing to have around the group,” Clarke was quoted as saying in the Australian media before leaving for Sri Lanka.
Clarke and former captain Ricky Ponting were among five members of the one-day squad, who left Sydney Thursday to join their colleagues in Sri Lanka. Australia will play two T20, five ODI and three Test matches.
“But the facts are we have to have some success, we have to play good cricket, we have to improve from our recent results throughout the last Australian summer. We need to get better. We know that.
“I can guarantee we’re working as hard as I’ve ever worked in my career, so hopefully we can turn that around sooner rather than later,” said Clarke.
Australia are ranked fifth in the world rankings, one place below Sri Lanka.
“I really hope we can turn things around straight away. I think it is going to take time for us to work our way back up the rankings,” Clarke said.
“As a bowling partnership in tandem, I think they can really work well together,” Clarke said.
“I haven’t seen much of Nathan Lyon, he’s had a great tour to Zimbabwe with the Australia A team, and I’ve heard some great reports of his bowling over there, so he gets an opportunity to come to Sri Lanka and bowl in what are generally pretty good spinning conditions.”
- Clarke named new Australia captain - Mar 30, 2011
- Clarke praises team for win over Sri Lanka - Aug 21, 2011
- Playing in South Africa is as tough as it gets: Clarke - Oct 04, 2011
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Clarke says Ponting's ODI career may not be over (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Sans Zaheer, India's bowling attack will be in trouble: Clarke - Dec 23, 2011
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- Clarke praises injury-prone Harris - Jan 12, 2012
- Clarke will also turn out to be champion leader: Rixon - Aug 20, 2011
- We have always put the team first: Clarke - Jan 06, 2012
- Clarke wants to give his views on review of Oz cricket - Apr 16, 2011
- Clarke ready to lead Oz batting attack against spinners - Feb 13, 2011
- Warne sees Clarke as one of finest Australian captains - Jan 06, 2012
- Bellerive Oval doesn't seem to miss Ponting - Feb 24, 2012
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: australia, australian cricket captain, bowling, captain michael, captain ricky ponting, colleagues, fresh faces, lyon, michael clarke, odi, partnership, play two, ricky, sri lanka, sydney, t20, tandem, test matches, test side, zimbabwe