Comprehensive security plan in place for IPL: ModiMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar.11 (ANI): The chairman of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Lalit Modi, has dismissed security fears ahead of the tournament’’s second edition, saying a rigorous security plan has been put in place.
Modi told reporters on Tuesday after unveiling plans for the tournament starting on April 10, that it was wrong to compare the situation in India to Pakistan.
“In terms of what that security plan is, it is a very-very cumbersome template. We did this exercise after the Mumbai blasts, for the Chennai matches that took place with England. We had a rigorous plan put in place and contingency plan put in place, which was shared both with the security forces, government and the international board that is ECB and implemented without a hitch going forward. We are now taking that as a base template and applying that to every city that we are going to host matches in,” said Modi.
Despite media reports suggesting international players had reservations about travelling to India, Modi said no one had officially voiced security fears and that all contracted players available would be taking part.
“Not a single player has contacted directly or indirectly telling us about their apprehensions. Yes, I am sure everybody has apprehensions but we will take those concerns into account and a comprehensive security plan has been put in. we are asking our security experts to be in touch with every board, and give our plans to them, so everybody is fully on board with what we are doing. It’’s not going a major secret as far as that is concerned. But we will have a full plan in place,” added Modi.
The IPL chairman, however, said security would be beefed up as a precautionary measure and that ahs also resulted in increase of security budget by 10 times compared to previous year.
Security concerns around a tournament that attracts a large number of leading international players had intensified following last week’’s attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore, Pakistan, which left six players and a coach wounded and eight people dead. (ANI)
Tags: apprehensions, base template, comprehensive security, contingency plan, lalit, modi, mumbai blasts, precautionary measure, premier league, rigorous plan, rigorous security, security budget, security concerns, security experts, security fears, security forces, security plan, single player, team bus, travelling to india