‘Composed’ England should start favourites for Ashes series: GilchristOctober 30th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 30(ANI): Former Australian wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist believes that the Andrew Strauss-led England team would start as favourites to win next month’s Ashes series.
“I see a very confident, compact England unit about to arrive. England should start favourites - they are the most composed group at the moment and seem to have confidence about each other and as a group,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Gilchrist, as saying.
“That will serve them well on that first morning, but either team could win it. I agree with (England captain) Andrew Strauss - I think you can hardly split the top four or five teams in world cricket at the moment.”
“There is no dominant team in cricket at the moment. On any given day one can beat the other,” he added.
The 38-year-old further said that Australia’s ‘tremendous home record’ would make the upcoming series exciting.
“Australia play the conditions well and (captain) Ricky Ponting plays particularly well in home conditions. There is going to be a lot of weight on his shoulders if they’re to be successful and I suspect he’ll be up for it too,” Gilchrist said.
When asked for his prediction, Gilchrist added: “Either team could win it and I think everyone is anticipating another tight series.” (ANI)
- England start favourites for Ashes, says Gilchrist - Oct 29, 2010
- England confident and raring to retain Ashes against Australia: Collingwood - Nov 21, 2010
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Magnificent' Ponting sailing Oz Ashes ship on his own: Botham - Nov 18, 2010
- England not interested in drawn Ashes: Prior - Nov 03, 2010
- Gilchrist says England favourites but not guaranteed the Ashes - Nov 17, 2010
- England to bowl first against India in third Test - Aug 10, 2011
- Australia's cricket superpower role not in crisis: Warne - Nov 05, 2010
- Tough days ahead for Strauss-led England: Vaughan - Dec 11, 2011
- Strauss urges England teammates to focus on Ashes series win at SCG - Jan 02, 2011
- Strauss' Ashes-winning team receives just a 'single clap' homecoming - Feb 09, 2011
- Paine ready to grab opportunity thrown up by Oz big boys' Ashes failure - Jan 10, 2011
- Best England side I have seen, says Hussain - Aug 02, 2011
- England will stay No.1 for a long time: Harminson - Oct 08, 2011
- England's Ashes heroes have yet to reach their peak: Strauss - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: adam gilchrist, andrew strauss, australia, captain ricky ponting, confidence, dominant team, england captain, england team, morning herald, oct 30, ricky, shoulders, sydney morning herald, tight series, wicket keeper, world cricket