Commonwealth Games more important than ever: London Olympics chiefOctober 13th, 2010 - 5:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 13 (ANI): The chairman of the London 2012 Olympics organising committee, Lord Coe, has said that the Commonwealth Games continue to have a significance far beyond the sporting arena.
Lord Coe said the Games are now possibly the only factor holding the disparate elements of the Commonwealth together.
“I think the Games are more important than ever. I think the Commonwealth is an important construct still - I may be slightly old-fashioned about these things - and (the Games are] probably the only cement common to all the Commonwealth countries.
“Sport is the one thing that makes that construction more relevant. The Commonwealth Games are really important,” The Scotsman quoted Lord Coe, as saying.
Asked if he thought the Glasgow Games might suffer by coming so soon after the larger-scale London Olympics, Lord Coe suggested there would be little chance of that.
“I don’t see it that way at all. I think people have in their minds a very clear narrative from London onwards, and they see almost a golden thread. I have talked to a number of people in the athletes’ village who have been talking about London 2012 and then Glasgow 2014. They do see a continuum,” he said.
Lord Coe was speaking at a meeting in the Scotland team’s Delhi headquarters, which was hosted by Glasgow 2014 chief executive John Scott. (ANI)
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Former TV executive named mayor of Olympic Village - May 29, 2012
- Beckham to be part of opening ceremony - Jul 25, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- All top athletes will be present at Glasgow CWG: Scott - Oct 16, 2010
- Cricket overshadowing other sports in India: Sebastian Coe - Apr 28, 2011
- Nice to find Commonwealth Games organisers so relaxed: Coe - Jul 28, 2010
- National Stadium is 'world class': Cameron (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- British PM plays tennis with London mayor - Sep 09, 2011
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Allegations of rampant corruption in CWG baseless: Kalmadi - Aug 01, 2010
- 2012 London Olympics tickets to be on sale from March 15 - Jan 16, 2011
- Glasgow is Britain's lone potential candidate for 2018 Youth Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- London 2012 Olympic team release first green report - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: 2012 olympics, athletes village, cement, chief executive, commonwealth countries, commonwealth games, continuum, disparate elements, glasgow, golden thread, little chance, london 2012 olympics, london olympics, lord coe, narrative, New Delhi, olympics, one thing, scotland team, scotsman