Commonwealth Games: India wins silver, bronze in weightliftingOctober 4th, 2010 - 6:24 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.4 (ANI): India won its first medals in the 48 kilogram women’s weightlifting category, as Soniya Chanu clinched the silver medal and Sandhya Rani Devi won bronze at the XIXth Commonwealth Games here on Monday.
On Sunday, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Prince Charles jointly inaugurated the XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in the national capital.
The opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games was marked by a multicrore cultural extravaganza, dance, music and fireworks.
It was a magnificent opening that offered a glimpse of India’s great heritage and tradition through a light, music and dance show, which led to the opening of the 11-day sporting extravaganza.
Over 6,500 athletes and officials from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states are participating in the Games being held from October 3 to 14 in Delhi. (ANI)
- India begins medal chase after CWG opening ceremony - Oct 04, 2010
- Tennis: Bopanna, Sanjeev lose to Rodionova, Hanley of Australia - Oct 04, 2010
- Silver medalist Chanu sad after missing the Gold in CWG - Oct 05, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- Two CWG gold medallists in weightlifting squad for Asian Games - Oct 21, 2010
- CWG: Tejaswani, Lajjakumari win silver medal in 50m rifle - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- President Patil inaugurates 2010 C'wealth Games with Prince Charles - Oct 03, 2010
- India gets first gold in CWG: Bindra, Narang win in air rifle event - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Soniya, Sandhya win first medals for India (LEAD) - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Indian weightlifting coach rues missing gold - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG Weightlifting: Coach optimistic of gold in remaining weight categories (Interview) - Oct 05, 2010
- Indian lifters sure of winning 'dope-free' medals at CWG (Weightlifting preview) - Oct 03, 2010
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
Tags: chanu, commonwealth games 2010, dance music, dance show, fireworks, glimpse, heritage, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, kilogram, light music, medals, member states, music and dance, New Delhi, opening ceremony, pratibha devisingh patil, prince charles, silver medal, weightlifting