Commonwealth delegates to study Haryana sports programmeFebruary 8th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 8 (IANS) Impressed by the performance of Haryana’s athletes in the New Delhi Commonwealth Games (CWG) and the Asian Games held in Guangzhou, delegates from 30 Commonwealth countries will Wednesday visit the state to study the sports programme launched there.”Haryana’s Sports and Physical Aptitude Test (SPAT) has drawn the attention of members of the Commonwealth Advisory Board on Sports and they will be visiting the SPAT centre at Moti Lal Nehru School of Sports in Sonepat Wednesday,” a spokesman of the sports department said here Tuesday.
He said that SPAT was conducted under a special sports campaign to identify sporting talent from the state and guide them professionally under a ‘Play for India’ programme.
The SPAT scheme had received a good response as over 25 lakh boys and girls participated in the first round held in the schools Dec 3-9 last year.
Athletes from Haryana bagged 15 medals, including five gold medals, in the Asian Games in November last year.
In the Commonwealth Games, held at Delhi in October, sportspersons from Haryana had claimed 37 out of the 101 medals won by India. Out of the 38 gold medals India won, 21 were won by Haryana players.
“SPAT has been introduced in schools to identify potential athletes to help them excel in sports through scholarships and training,” the spokesman added.
The success in the CWG and Asian Games had brought the athletes cash rewards as well.
Haryana players winning gold, silver and bronze medals in the Asian Games were honoured with cash rewards of Rs.25 lakh, Rs.15 lakh and Rs.10 lakh respectively.
On the other hand, CWG medal winners were given cash rewards of Rs.15 lakh, Rs.10 lakh and Rs. 7 lakh for gold, silver and bronze medals respectively. They also got cars, mobile phones and desi ghee (clarified butter).
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana grooms sporting talent for India's future - Nov 29, 2010
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Cash, cars, mobile phones, ghee - Haryana CWG winners take it all! - Oct 30, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Punjab players get cash rewards - Feb 05, 2011
- After CWG, Haryana to reward its Asian Games athletes - Dec 20, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.2 crore for gold in London Olympics - Nov 01, 2010
- Punjab pacifies CWG medallists with prize money hike - Nov 04, 2010
- Function for CWG medal winners: Haryana draws flak - Oct 30, 2010
- Haryana CWG medal winners to get cars too! - Oct 16, 2010
- Deepinder Hooda wants sports university in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- After medallists, Haryana to reward CWG participants as well - Oct 21, 2010
- Himachal honours its Asiad, CWG medallists - Jan 25, 2011
- Haryana government felicitates Asian Games athletes - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: aptitude test, asian games, boys and girls, bronze medals, cash rewards, commonwealth countries, commonwealth games, cwg, gold medals, medal winners, members of the commonwealth, moti, nehru, physical aptitude, s sports, school of sports, sonepat, spat, special sports, sports department