Commonwealth Boxing Championships postponed by two monthsFebruary 26th, 2009 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) The Commonwealth Boxing Championships scheduled for December has now been delayed by two months due to the ongoing construction work at the Talkatora Stadium.
The stadium, which will host the boxing event in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, is under renovation and will only be ready in November. And since not much time would be left to organise the championships, the Commonwealth Boxing Federation has decided to put it off to February-March 2010.
Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) secretary-general P.K.M. Raja said Thursday that the New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has agreed to hand over the stadium to the organising committee of the 2010 Commonwealth Games by December.
“Instead of squeezing the tournament in December we decided to postpone it by two months. We have now requested the International Boxing Association (AIBA) to allot a suitable date in February and March 2010 for the tournament so that it does not clash with other major international competitions,” he said.
Raja also said that the IBF is finding it difficult to get sponsors for the 1st International (16th A.K. Mishra) Boxing Tournament to be held in Chandigarh, March 11-15.
“The sports ministry has announced a prize money of Rs.1 million for the tournament and is also sponsoring it partially. But we are yet to get corporate sponsors. This tournament will help boxers to prepare for the Commonwealth Games,” he said.
Sixteen teams, including eight from Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Mauritius, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Turkmenistan and Singapore will take part in the tournament.
- Two Indians to officiate in Olympic boxing - Jun 13, 2012
- Commonwealth Boxing: Australia pulls out, Canada doubtful - Jan 07, 2010
- Samota, Manpreet lead 10-member Indian team for Kazakh boxing meet - Feb 08, 2012
- Indian boxers to compete in test event for London Olympics - Nov 22, 2011
- CBI registers three new cases in CWG scam - Mar 10, 2011
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- A stadium that is truly 'common wealth' (Year after CWG) - Oct 01, 2011
- Langoors to rid Games venues of monkeys - Sep 27, 2010
- Punjab MP objects to 'no-beard' clause in boxing - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian boxers confident for Commonwealth Boxing Championship - Mar 11, 2010
- Ace woman boxer Sarita Devi threatens to give up Arjuna Award - Oct 01, 2010
- CWG venues fast becoming white elephants (Year after CWG) - Sep 30, 2011
- 13 Olympics events will be played at Commonwealth Games - Aug 28, 2010
- Mary Kom lauds AIBA for leaving shorts-skirts choice to boxers - Mar 02, 2012
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, boxing event, boxing federation, chandigarh, construction work, corporate sponsors, ibf, international boxing association, international competitions, kazakhstan uzbekistan, march 11, ndmc, New Delhi, ongoing construction, organising committee, prize money, raja, rs 1, secretary general, sports ministry