Collingwood’s favourites to win 20-20 title -New Zealand, South AfricaJune 5th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 5 (ANI): England 20-20 cricket captain Paul Collingwood believes that either New Zealand or South Africa will be the winners of this year’s Twenty20 World Cup.
“It is a near-lottery to predict results in T20, but South Africa would be my tip to win the tournament. The winners receive 309,000 pounds while the winners of the women’s event, which runs simultaneously, will be paid 28,000 pounds. There have been 15 global cricket events (nine World Cups, five Champions Trophies and one World Twenty20) and England are the only major nation never to have won,” The Sun reports.
On the eve of today’s opening match against Holland at Lord’s, Collingwood said: “We believe we can win it. I’m not saying we will - I don’t want to put extra pressure on the boys - but we’re in very good shape.”
England need only beat the Dutch to be certain of reaching the Super Eights second phase where they will meet holders India, Australia and South Africa in the group of death.
To triumph on home soil, England must be brave and think on their feet.
Twenty20 is not all about brute force as clever deflections with the bat and subtle variations with the ball are just as important. (ANI)
- England must win four matches to lift World Cup: Collingwood - Mar 14, 2011
- Collingwood has no plans to retire - Mar 14, 2011
- Collingwood now wants two World Cup wins! - May 17, 2010
- England eyeing million-pound bonus for outright Ashes series win - Jan 02, 2011
- Collingwood says England is world's No.1 Twenty20 team - Jan 10, 2011
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- Collingwood says Twenty20 loss won't hurt England's momentum against Aussies - Jan 15, 2011
- Pringle backs England to win World Cup despite Oz ODI series rout - Feb 19, 2011
- World Cup winner Dhoni now targets T20 crown - Apr 04, 2011
- Collingwood to undergo knee surgery after World Cup - Mar 23, 2011
- Flower upbeat as England weigh up options for quarterfinal challenge - Mar 20, 2011
- South Africa can dominate world cricket: Kirsten - Mar 29, 2012
- Collingwood to undergo knee surgery - Mar 23, 2011
- Footie crazy Brit nets 650K pounds in winning WC stakes - Jul 19, 2010
- Collingwood will retire from Test after Ashes series - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: 20 20 cricket, brute force, captain paul, collingwood, cricket captain, cricket events, extra pressure, good shape, home soil, india australia, match, second phase, south africa, subtle variations, sun reports, t20, trophies, twenty20 world cup, world cups, world twenty20