Collingwood confident Pietersen will play a role in World Twenty20June 1st, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 1 (ANI): England Twenty20 captain Paul Collingwood believes his team has the skills to do well in the World Twenty20 that gets underway from June 5, and adds that he is confident about batsman Kevin Pietersen delivering the goods.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of England’s fitness drills at Lords over the weekend, The Telegraph quoted Collingwood as saying: “Kevin is important to our overall cricket, he is important in the dressing room and he is raring to go.”
“He is going to play a major role in this tournament. He is pretty much 100 per cent fit. He has had a little break, worked on his fitness and he has got it right and he’s going to play a 100 per cent part in all the games. He wants to get in the middle,” Collingwood added. England will play two warm-up games this week, the first at Trent Bridge against Scotland. There first match of the tournament is against the West Indies, and Collingwood is confident that after the Test and one-day series victories, England will be the more dominant party.
“There are a lot of players in the squad who played against West Indies and the boys are feeling very confident at the moment and we’ll certainly take that into the games,” Collingwood said.
England have never won a one-day World Cup and have not threatened to do so since 1992, when they lost the final to “Imran’s Tigers”. Their Twenty20 record is also thin - they have won six out of 15 or 16 if you include the Stanford match - and many of the team have little experience of the game’s shortest format. (ANI)
- England keen to forget dismal 2007 WC campaign: Strauss - Feb 14, 2011
- Collingwood says England is world's No.1 Twenty20 team - Jan 10, 2011
- Pringle backs England to win World Cup despite Oz ODI series rout - Feb 19, 2011
- Ganguly picks India World T20 favourites, Windies dark horses - Aug 28, 2012
- Skipper Sammy rues his team's inconsistency - Jun 25, 2012
- England must win four matches to lift World Cup: Collingwood - Mar 14, 2011
- Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20s - May 31, 2012
- We can go all the way: Chris Gayle - Sep 13, 2012
- Not fair to judge Dhoni after two defeats, says Akram - Aug 03, 2011
- We've learned lessons from 2007 World Cup: Strauss - Feb 14, 2011
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Collingwood-led team can end 35 years of hurt: Vaughan - Apr 30, 2010
- Rain ends Windies hopes of redemption as 3rd ODI abandoned - Jun 23, 2012
- Sammy hopes to carry winning momentum into Test series - Jul 24, 2012
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: batsman, captain paul, collingwood, cricket, delivering the goods, dominant party, dressing room, little break, match, pietersen, play two, sidelines, stanford, telegraph, tigers, trent bridge, warm up games, west indies, world cup, world twenty20