Coe hails Olympic test events a successMay 10th, 2012 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 10 (IANS) London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) president Sebastian Coe hailed the ‘London Prepares’ series a success as the final London 2012 test event - the London Disability Athletics Challenge - concluded, signalling the end of 42 events.
In less than 12 months, LOCOG has delivered 42 test events in 28 venues allowing approximately 350,000 spectators to enjoy world class sport in Olympic venues.
Across the 183 days of competition, spanning all Olympic sports and disciplines and six Paralympic sports, there were 25,000 workforce involved including many Games Makers who will volunteer over the summer. Taking part were 8,000 elite athletes competing in new, existing and temporary venues, Xinhua reported.
Coe said: “We set out to run events which would test the venues, the sporting field of play and our workforce, whilst at the same time allowing members of the public to enjoy world class sport in an Olympic setting.
“We have done just this and all these events, without exception, have gone well. Of course there will be some lessons learned from each event, but we have not had to make any major changes to any of our venues or our plans. We are in great shape and on course to stage the world’ s greatest sporting event.”
Over the past six days the final seven test events have taken place, five of which were within the Olympic Park, enabling Park operations including spectator flows, security and ticketing to be tested.
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic mountain bike course changed - Apr 05, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- London 2012 ticket resale from Jan 6 - Dec 15, 2011
- Olympics: Security is top priority, says Cameron - Jul 27, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- 4,000 people to take part in London 2012 test event - Apr 24, 2012
- London Olympics likely to be under budget - Feb 29, 2012
- Mobile phones, picnics and music banned at London Olympics - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: elite athletes, great shape, london 2012, olympic games, olympic park, olympic sports, olympic test, olympic venues, organising committee, paralympic games, paralympic sports, park operations, sebastian coe, six days, spectator, spectators, test event, test events, world class sport, xinhua