Coe backs West Ham’s bid to retain 2012 Olympics stadiumJanuary 24th, 2011 - 5:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): London 2012 chief Sebastian Coe has said that Britain’s sporting reputation will be trashed if Tottenham is allowed to bulldoze the Olympic Stadium.
Tottenham is vying with fellow Premier League club West Ham United to take over the 500 million pound stadium after the Olympic Games.
West Ham plans to maintain an athletics legacy whereas Tottenham is not in favour of it.
The Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) is evaluating both bids and is expected to make its recommendation on Friday, after which the Government and mayor of London will have the final say on the future of the site.
Coe would vote in favour of West Ham’s bid if he were a member of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, which decides on Friday about the successful bid.
Coe, who pledged an athletics legacy in the bid six years ago, said: “The bid was very clear.”
“I don’t recall talking about bulldozing a publicly-funded facility and inspiring a generation of Tottenham season ticket-holders,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
But Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said: “Let’s deal with fact rather than emotion. Surely it’s a far better legacy for London as a whole if you have a world-class stadium for multi-use within the Olympic Park that is full throughout the year and a dedicated athletics venue in South London.” (ANI)
- West Ham United tipped to beat Tottenham Hotspur in London Olympic Stadium bid - Feb 10, 2011
- 'Tottenham has lost credibility in bid to gain Olympics stadium' - Jan 24, 2011
- West Ham beat Tottenham for Olympic Stadium takeover bid - Feb 12, 2011
- Tottenham Hotspur unlikely to give up 2012 Olympic Stadium claim without a fight - Mar 31, 2011
- Committee deciding on Olympic Stadium bid says it needs more time - Jan 25, 2011
- Spurs say taking on Beckham not a front for move into Olympic stadium - Jan 13, 2011
- Pele not in support of West Ham's 2012 Olympic Stadium bid - Jan 22, 2011
- West Ham eyes Olympic Stadium - Mar 23, 2012
- Athletics track at London Olympic Stadium complete - Oct 04, 2011
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- We want to maximise benefits from Olympic Games: Cameron - Jan 10, 2012
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium hosts a two-day Asian All-Star Athletics meet - Jul 30, 2010
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Spurs show interest in Olympic stadium - Oct 01, 2010
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, daniel levy, emotion, favour, jan 24, legacy company, london 2012, london jan, mayor of london, olympic games, olympic park, olympic stadium, olympics stadium, premier league, season ticket holders, sebastian coe, south london, spurs, tottenham, west ham united