Cocktail of glamour, sports at Manish Malhotra’s WIFW show (With Images)March 20th, 2009 - 11:17 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) With cricketers Aakash Chopra and Murali Kartik sashaying down the ramp, and Bollywood beauties Amrita Rao and Sophie Chaudhary supporting him, designer Manish Malhotra served the audience a cocktail of sports and glamour at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW).
There was a lot of speculation before the show that Amrita and Sophie would be walking the ramp for Malhotra along with the two cricketers, but the designer took the audience by surprise when only Kartik and Chopra - members of the Indian Premier League (IPL) team Kolkata Knight Riders - strutted down the ramp Thursday night.
At the post show conference, the designer was accompanied by the gorgeous ladies who were wearing mini dresses and made it clear that they were present just to support their friend.
“We are here as a friend and not as the showstoppers. It is just our way of showing support for him. We are acting as morale boosters for him,” Sophie told reporters.
Mumbai-based Malhotra is designing the look of Shah Rukh Khan’s Kolkata Knight Riders for the second consecutive year and his autumn-winter collection at the WIFW was inspired by them.
“The line has a perfect mix of sports and the glamour of Bollywood. This is a very new concept for me and is inspired by Shah Rukh’s team,” Malhotra told IANS.
“The collection has saris with racer backs, fashionable jumpers, track pants, trench coats and off shoulder dresses. We are looking at a new dimension of introducing sports wear with elegant evening wear,” he added.
Like last year, the collection is mainly in black and gold but two new colour combination - grey and white - have been introduced this year.
While the women wore chic and elegant saris of chiffon, silk and georgettes, the men sported sleek trousers, trench coats, casual t-shirts and shorts with either a golden helmet or golden shoes.
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- Kashmiri flowers gulaala, giltoor inspire Manish Malhotra's collection - Feb 18, 2012
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Malaika and Amrita walk the ramp for Vikram Phadnis - Mar 03, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Shantanu-Nikhil to open WIFW 2012 - Jan 31, 2012
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
- I received Kylie's measurements by fax: Manish Malhotra - Mar 20, 2009
- Salman brings alive Bollywood's bygone era at couture week - Oct 10, 2010
- Bollywood marks its presence on fourth day at WIFW - Apr 10, 2011
- Manish wowed with his collection, B-town loved it too (With Images) - Aug 12, 2012
- Neeru Kumar pays tribute to Indian fabrics at WIFW - Apr 06, 2011
- JLo's style, chutzpah inspires designer Charu Parashar - Apr 07, 2011
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Draping a sari tough for me: Bipasha - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: aakash chopra, amrita rao, autumn winter, bollywood beauties, colour combination, elegant evening, golden helmet, golden shoes, gorgeous ladies, india fashion week, knight riders, manish malhotra, mini dresses, morale boosters, second consecutive year, shah rukh khan, sophie chaudhary, trench coats, wills lifestyle india fashion week, winter collection