Coach key to my success, says BoltSeptember 13th, 2012 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), Sep 13 (IANS/CMC) Sprint legend Usain Bolt has hailed coach Glen Mills as the key to his recent success at the London Olympics.
The 26-year-old swept both sprints to become the first athlete to win back-to-back 100 metres and 200 metres titles at an Olympic Games, following his success in the Beijing Olympics four years ago.
“I want to give thanks to Glen Mills. He is the greatest person; he has been a father figure, my mentor, he’s been a coach and for me he is the person that makes me laugh,” Bolt was quoted as saying by CMC Wednesday.
“He’s truly a great person overall. He is the greatest coach ever.”
Bolt returned to the island Saturday with little fanfare, following the conclusion of the lucrative Diamond League campaign with the last meet in Brussels.
He went unbeaten on the international circuit and his only losses during the season came at the National Trials here in June when he suffered two shock defeats to training partner Yohan Blake.
That sparked mad speculation over Bolt’s form and raised serious doubt over his ability to defend his Olympic title.
Bolt praised his “true fans” for standing by him during that testing period.
“I just have one thing to say. Never doubt a champion,” Bolt said.
“I want to thank my real, true fans. There were a lot of doubters and a lot of people were happy that I lost (trials) and were saying a lot of things. But my true fans, my coach, my team gave me that support and were 100 per cent behind me.”
He joked: “I want everybody to continue supporting Usain Bolt, Doctor, the Honourable.”
Bolt won the 100 metres at the London Olympics in a meet record 9.63 seconds before also re-capturing the 200 metres in a season-best time of 19.32 seconds.
- Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquest - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt says 18 seconds a possibility for 200m - Jun 08, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- I will be hard to beat next season: Blake - Sep 21, 2012
- Bolt answers critics with world-leading time - Jun 01, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Confident Bolt reminds fans of big day status - Aug 26, 2011
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt clocks season-best at Monaco Diamond League - Jul 23, 2011
- Bolt squares off with Powell again in Oslo - Jun 07, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica win relay in new WR (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt, Brathwaite anxiously eyeing semis - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing olympics, best time, brussels, cmc, fanfare, father figure, kingston jamaica, league campaign, london olympics, mentor, olympic games, olympic title, olympics, serious doubt, speculation, sprint, training partner, true fans, usain bolt