Club World Cup: Qatar’s Al-Sadd beat Esperance 2-1December 11th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Dec 11 (IANS) Asian club champions Al-Sadd of Qatar beat African champions Esperance Sportive de Tunis 2-1 to reach the semifinals of the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup at the Toyota Stadium near Nagoya City Sunday.
The Qatari team, who were on the defensive for most part of the match, managed to take advantage of Esperance’s mistakes with Khalfan Al Khalfan breaking the deadlock 33 minutes into the match, Xinhua reported.
Four minutes after the break, Al-Sadd doubled their lead with Abdulla Koni tapping in an easy goal following a freekick. Esperance of Tunisia pulled one back thanks Oussama Darragi’s goal in the 60th minute.
The win means Al-Sadd will now play the European Champions Barcelona in the semi-finals, while Esperance can only head to a playoff for the 5th place of the annual event.
- CAF match interrupted after fans invade pitch - Aug 19, 2012
- Tunisian swimmer Mellouli voted Arab sportsman of the year - Dec 31, 2011
- Villa likely to be sidelined for five months - Dec 16, 2011
- Spanish footballer Villa leaves hospital after surgery - Dec 25, 2011
- India go down 1-3 to Qatar in pre-Olympic football qualifier - Jun 20, 2011
- Tunisia reach quarters in African Nations Cup - Jan 28, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Maldives beat Syria in dramatic fashion - Aug 28, 2012
- Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores - Apr 26, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Ashfaq stars in Maldives win over Syria (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- Villa given time to prove fitness - May 05, 2012
- India beat Qatar in international football friendly - Jul 18, 2011
- SAF Cup: Afghanistan thrash Bhutan 8-1 - Dec 07, 2011
- Dutch star Seedorf scores first goal for Botafogo - Aug 05, 2012
- East Bengal in Fed Cup semifinals - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: african champions, al sadd, asian club, breaking the deadlock, club champions, club world cup, european champions, fifa club world cup, four minutes, match, nagoya city, qatar, semi finals, tapping, tokyo, toyota, tunis, tunisia, xinhua