Clary leads field into individual medley finalAugust 2nd, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 2 (DPA) American Scott Tyler Clary Sunday led the field into the final of the men’s 400m individual medley in a time of 4:10.04 at the world swimming championships here.
Hungarian Laszlo Cseh, who won silver in the 200m individual medley earlier in the week, finished .29 seconds off the pace, ahead of his compatriot Gergo Kis, who finished with a time of 4:10.99.
American Ryan Lochte, who won the 200m individual medley, had the fourth-fastest time and said that he did not really like racing the IM early in the morning.
“I generally back off on the 400 individual medley in the mornings, which stinks. Right now I am fourth and in lane six, which I like.
“So hopefully they won’t see me.
“Anything is possible. If I play my cards right and have a really good swim anything can happen.”
He said he did not know what splits he had for the individual sectors.
“I don’t really focus on the splits. I kind of just go out there and race. That’s what it all comes down to.”
In the women’s 400m individual medley, world record holder Stephanie Rice had the fastest time going into Sunday’s final.
The Australian swam a 4:34.62, to beat American Elizabeth Beisel, who finished in a time of 4:34.80.
Hungarian Katinka Hosszu had the third-fastest time with 4:35.15, while Canadian Tanya Hunks and American Julia Smit also advanced to the final with the equal time of 4:35.84.
The competition ends in the Foro Italico on Sunday evening with the finals of the men’s 50m backstroke, the 400m individual medley, the 1,500 freestyle and the 4×100 medley relay, as well as the women’s final in the 50m breaststroke, the 50m freestyle and the 400m individual medley.
After the finals a short closing ceremony will be held.
- Hungary top medals table at Euro swimming - May 28, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Park eliminated in 400m, Swedish sensation Sjostrom sets record - Jul 26, 2009
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- World, championship records fall in Rome - Jul 29, 2009
- Four world records set on final day of World Swimming Championships - Aug 03, 2009
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Sun reaches 200 metres freestyle semis - Jul 29, 2012
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: 400m, 50m freestyle, aug 2, closing ceremony, compatriot, elizabeth beisel, fastest time, foro italico, gergo, individual medley, katinka, kis, laszlo cseh, medley relay, ryan lochte, scott tyler, stephanie rice, sunday evening, world record holder, world swimming championships