Clarke to lead Australians against All Star TeamNovember 20th, 2009 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Nov 20 (IANS) Michael Clarke, who missed the ODI series in India due to a back injury, will lead the Australians against Shane Warne-led All Star team in Sunday night’s All Star Twenty20 match at the Gabba in Brisbane.
National Selection Panel (NSP) chairman Andrew Hilditch said that Clarke, Brad Haddin and Peter Siddle were selected in the Australian squad to get some practice ahead of the first Test against the West Indies in Brisbane.
“In selecting the team we have not considered any of the Test players who have been heavily involved in the recent one-day campaign in India to allow them to prepare for the first Test. The side does however feature Michael Clarke in his first Twenty20 game since being named captain, Brad Haddin and Peter Siddle as these players have not had the same amount of cricket as the other Test players leading into Brisbane,” he said.
“While the emphasis will be on entertainment, the NSP sees the game as a great opportunity to continue our preparation for the ICC World Twenty20 in the West Indies next year. We have introduced into the side Steven Smith, an exciting leg-spinning all rounder, who we see as having the potential to really impact in Twenty20 cricket at the international level.
“George Bailey has also joined the Australian squad following a fantastic start to the Australian summer. In the fast bowling area Clinton McKay really impressed in the VB Tour of India and has a game well suited to Twenty20 cricket while the match also sees the return of Shaun Tait who at his best is a very powerful weapon, particularly in Twenty20 and one-day cricket,” he added.
Australians: Michael Clarke (captain), Cameron White (vice-captain), George Bailey, Brad Haddin, David Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, David Warner.
All Star Team: Shane Warne (captain), Travis Birt, Lee Carseldine, Adam Gilchrist, Daniel Harris, Matthew Hayden, Jason Krejza, Rhett Lockyear, Graham Manou, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Reardon, Nathan Rimmington.
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Warne to lead All Stars in T20 clash - Nov 20, 2009
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Ponting, Watson, replace Warner, Ferguson for ODI series against Sri Lanka - Oct 26, 2010
- Lee left out of Oz Twenty20 squad - Oct 25, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Australia retain Clarke as Twenty20 captain - May 24, 2010
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Johnson rested from first two ODIs against Pakistan - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: adam gilchrist, adam voges, andrew mcdonald, cameron white, captain brad, captain travis, carseldine, daniel harris, david hussey, george bailey, hilditch, icc world twenty20, matthew hayden, national selection, odi series, shane warne, shaun tait, siddle, steven smith, test players