Clarke fit for first one-dayer against South AfricaJanuary 15th, 2009 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 15 (IANS) Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke, who has been nursing an injury on his right thumb, has been declared fit to play against South Africa in Friday’s first one-day international match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).Clarke passed a fitness test at training Thursday, which included a couple of net sessions, after missing the two Twenty20 matches.
“He’ll be fine to play,” captain Ricky Ponting was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph.
“He completed all his training well today, he’s still got a fair bit of discomfort in his thumb but he’s had that since the first Test match (in December) and got through pretty well. So it’s a good sign for us that he’s fit for selection.”
Clarke’s inclusion means rookie David Warner has been released from the Australian squad, and that he can play for New South Wales (NSW) against Victoria in Saturday night’s Twenty20 match in Sydney.
Australia are yet to finalise their XI and will decide Friday whether to include specialist spinner Nathan Hauritz or play an all-rounder.
Wicket-keeper Brad Haddin will also return after a rest, and Queensland all-rounder Ryan Harris is the only member of the squad ruled out at this point.
Australia (from): Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), Nathan Bracken, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Shaun Marsh, Shaun Tait, Cameron White.
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
- Australia retain Clarke as Twenty20 captain - May 24, 2010
- Australia opts for blend of youth and experience for daunting India Test series - Sep 02, 2010
- Australia drop Starc, Christian from 11 for Boxing Day Test - Dec 24, 2011
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Lee named in Australian Twenty20 World Cup squad - Mar 30, 2010
- Clarke retained as Australia's Twenty20 captain - May 24, 2010
Tags: cameron white, captain michael, captain nathan, captain ricky ponting, daily telegraph, david hussey, david warner, dayer, fitness test, melbourne cricket ground, michael clarke, michael hussey, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, new south wales, ryan harris, shaun tait, test match, vice captain, wicket keeper