C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for Mohinder AmarnathNovember 10th, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 10 (IANS) Mohinder Amarnath, one of India’s greatest all-rounders, was chosen for the C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award by the Indian cricket board here Tuesday.
Mohinder, commonly known as Jimmy, will get a trophy, a citation and a cash prize of Rs.1.5 million. Mohinder, born Sep 24, 1950, was the son of independent India’s first Test captain Lala Amarnath, who was also the first recipient of this prestigious award in 1994.
Mohinder scored 4,378 runs from 69 Tests and 1,924 runs from 85 ODIs. He will be remembered for winning back-to-back Man-of-the-Match awards in the 1983 World Cup semi-final and final as India went on to lift the trophy. In the final against the West Indies, he scored 26 and picked up three for 12 as India scripted one of the greatest upsets in world cricket.
He made his Test debut against Bill Lawry’s touring Australians in 1969-70. His 85 against the West Indies at Port of Spain in 1975-76 helped India achieve a world record target of 403. Two years later, he scored 90 and 100 at Perth, against an attack led by Jeff Thomson.
Mohinder had a dream run in the 1982-83 season. He marked his return to the Indian team after a three-year gap, with 1,182 runs from 11 back-to-back Tests, in Pakistan and the West Indies. The performance prompted cricket pundits to rate him as the world’s best player of fast bowling.
After retiring from international cricket, Mohinder had coaching stints with Bangladesh and Morocco and the Rajasthan Ranji Trophy team. He created a cricketing coaching TV series, and penned a book on the same. He was appointed consultant of the Bengal Ranji team in 2008.
Past winners of C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award:
1994 - Lala Amarnath
1995 - Syed Mushtaq Ali
1996 - Vijay Hazare
1997 - K.N. Prabhu
1998 - Polly Umrigar
1999 - Hemachandra Adhikari
2000 - Subhash Gupte
2001 - Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi
2002 - Bhausaheb Nimbalkar
2003 - Chandrakant Borde
2004 - Bishan Singh Bedi, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, Erapalli Prasanna, Srinivas Venkataraghavan
2007 - Nariman Contractor
2008 - Gundappa Viswanath
- Dravid named for Polly Umrigar best cricketer award - Nov 23, 2011
- All down to hard work: Dravid on getting Polly Umrigar Award - Dec 11, 2011
- Wadekar to be honoured with C.K.Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award - Nov 22, 2011
- Tendulkar to receive Polly Umrigar Award - May 14, 2011
- World Cup-winning team felicitated, lifetime award for Durrani - May 31, 2011
- BCCI institutes awards named after Lala Amarnath - Oct 29, 2011
- C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for Salim Durrani - May 27, 2011
- Amarnath confident of India victory at Wankhede (Interview) - Apr 01, 2011
- BCCI opposes draft sports bill, appoints physio for Team India - Oct 29, 2011
- Tiger played with straight bat on and off the field (Obituary) - Sep 22, 2011
- Ashwin century makes up for Tendulkar missing it (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Raman lays stress on work ethics and discipline - Sep 08, 2010
- No champagne spraying or rewards for India's first Test winners - Dec 20, 2009
- Tamil Nadu well-placed in CK Nayudu Trophy - Oct 23, 2011
- Selectors drop Yuvraj, call-up Rohit for third Test - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,