Churchill lift IFA Shield after 2-0 win over Mohun BaganSeptember 12th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 12 (IANS) Churchill Brothers, Goa, played an impressive opening session to prevail over Mohun Bagan 2-0 and win their maiden IFA Shield football tournament title here Saturday.
The visitors scored both their goals in the first half through Reisangmi Vasum and Odafa Okoli before a sizeable crowd in the final at Salt Lake stadium.
Churchill’s victory is yet another example of the gradual decline of the once all-conquering Kolkata clubs, who have missed the title for the third time in a row. Mahindra United had emerged champions in the past two years.
The Goans drew first blood in the 41st minute. Odafa dodged past rival defender Sur Kumar Singh but lost his balance while trying to outwit Dipak Mandal. But the Nigerian somehow managed to send a loose ball for Reisangmi Vasum who scored with a power-packed right footer.
Churchill doubled the lead only four minutes later, as Nascimento Silveira essayed a through pass for Odafa, who evaded Mandal and then put the ball home after dodging past goalkeeper Shilton Paul.
The first few minutes were hardly an indicator of the outcome of the match.
Mohun Bagan players had more ball possession in the early moments and carried out well-coordinated attacks. In fact, the home side was unlucky not to have gone ahead in the opening minute when a James Singh shot from top of the box hit the crossbar, much to the disappointment of the spectators.
But as the game progressed, Churchill seized the initiative by making good use of both their wings.
Mohun Bagan tried to come back in the second half but the absence of a positive striker proved their undoing.
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
- Mohun Bagan ground Air India 3-1 in I-League - Dec 28, 2011
- I-League: Mohun Bagan thrash Shillong Lajong - Apr 10, 2012
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- I-League: HAL hold Mohun Bagan to a goalless draw - Apr 06, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Mohun Bagan get past East Bengal 1-0 in I-league - Nov 21, 2011
- Odafa rescues Mohun Bagan again in I-League - Feb 11, 2012
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- Bagan take on Dempo in crucial I-League encounter - Mar 31, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- I-League: Barreto scores in his swansong as Bagan blank Pune FC - May 06, 2012
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: bagan, churchill brothers, crossbar, disappointment, first blood, football tournament, footer, four minutes, goa, goalkeeper, goans, loose ball, mandal, okoli, silveira, sizeable crowd, spectators, striker, third time, undoing