Churchill Brothers looking to end season with Super Cup winApril 25th, 2009 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, April 25 (IANS) After clinching their maiden I-League title, Churchill Brothers will be looking to end the season in style by winning the one-off Super Cup tie against runners-up Mohun Bagan at the Tau Devilal Sports Complex here Sunday.
Churchill’s Serbian coach Zoran Djordjevic said Saturday that after the successful I-League, winning the Super Cup would be the best way the Goan team could end the season.
Djordjevic will be pinning his hopes on star Nigerian striker Odafe Onyeka Okolie, who has been the highest scorer in the I-League, to come out with a sterling display against the Federation Cup winners.
“My mission of coming to India is fulfilled and I will be happy if the boys could pull it off in style. It will be big moment for me..first the I-League and then the Super cup,” Zoran told IANS Saturday on the eve of the match.
The stakes are high for Mohun Bagan. First, they lost the I-League after going down 1-2 to Mahindra United in the final round of the league and then suffered a humiliating 0-6 loss to Al Kuwait in the AFC Cup.
They will be looking to salvage some pride against the Goan team.
A desperate looking coach Karim Bencherifa said: “This game is crucial after two defeats. Now we want to finish the season with a win.”
But there are problems galore for him. The players are tired and injured after an over-stretched season. Goalkeeper Sangram Mukherjee will sit out with a sore ankle and will be replaced by Shilton Paul while defender Peter Odafe will also miss out the action. Bhaichung Bhutia will lead the attack upfront with Jose Ramires Baretto.
Churchill, however, is not taking Mohun Bagan lightly. “They have some experienced players. All of their players are equally good and it does not matter if some of them are not playing,” said team manager Denzil Ferro.
Both the teams have met in the I-League twice and won their home matches and will eyeing the Rs.1 million prize money the Super Cup winner will take home.
- Mohun Bagan chasing record 17th Durand Cup title - Sep 21, 2009
- Clean sweep by Churchill Brothers in I-League awards - Apr 27, 2009
- I-League win with Salgaocar was sweetest, says Bencherifa - Jun 01, 2011
- Salgoacar's Bencherifa is I-League's best coach - Oct 18, 2011
- Mohun Bagan beat Churchill to win season-ending Super Cup - Apr 26, 2009
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- Churchill coach Zoran likely on his way out - Apr 26, 2009
- Depleted Salgaocar face Mohun Bagan challenge - Apr 13, 2012
- Mohun Bagan's chief coach resigns - Dec 13, 2010
- JCT looking to overcome poor I-League start against Churchill - Dec 06, 2010
- Sporting challenge for confident Bagan in I-League - Jan 18, 2012
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
- Another season of I-League begins with Churchill facing Mahindra - Sep 30, 2009
- I-League: Pune FC look to open gap on rivals for second spot - Apr 14, 2012
- East Bengal face Mohun Bagan in I-League's Kolkata derby - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: afc cup, al kuwait, bagan, churchill brothers, coming to india, cup tie, cup winners, djordjevic, federation cup, home matches, karim, mahindra united, onyeka, prize money, ramires, rs 1, scorer, shilton, sore ankle, zoran