Churchill Bros settle for second spot in I-LeagueFebruary 23rd, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by admin
Margao, Feb 23 (IANS) Churchill Brothers Sports Club settled for the second spot in the I-League after a 3-0 win over Air India at the Nehru Stadium Saturday. Churchill Bros finished with 36 points but finished behind Dempo, who beat Viva Kerala 4-1 in Calicut and but took the first place in the league standings on a superior goal difference.
Churchill needed to score heavily in the final game against Air India to win the inaugural I-league.
Churchill managed to score just once - through Odafe Okolie - at the change of ends. However, after the breather, they seemed a completely different side and had numerous chances to submerge Air India.
Odafe Okolie - the highest scorer in the league with 22 goals - quite uncharacteristically missed three chances in four minutes.
“It was not our day,” Odafe later told IANS.
“Perhaps god wanted us to finish second. We missed so many chances. It was unbelievable,” he rued.
With over half an hour to go, Churchill Bros led 3-0, with Raju Durai and Odafe finding the net.
But, even with Air India defence completely in shambles, Churchill Bros could not take the opportunity that was up for grabs and had to finish second, a mere consolation for a team that caught everyone’s attention with their free-flowing football.
“I am still proud of this group of players. They have been wonderful,” Churchill Bros’ Moroccan coach Karim Bencherifa told reporters.
- Salgaocar conceded silly goal: Bencherifa - Oct 22, 2011
- Churchill scrape past Air India in I-League - Feb 02, 2012
- We can defeat Salgaocar, says Air India coach - Mar 30, 2012
- JCT hold Churchill Brothers in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- I-League: Churchill Brothers face Prayag United - Mar 31, 2012
- JCT looking to overcome poor I-League start against Churchill - Dec 06, 2010
- I-League win with Salgaocar was sweetest, says Bencherifa - Jun 01, 2011
- I-League: Defending champions Salgaocar go down 0-1 to Dempo - Oct 22, 2011
- I-League: Dempo score easy victory over HAL - Mar 24, 2012
- Odafe hat-trick helps Mohun Bagan come from behind to beat Arrows - Oct 24, 2011
- Sporting challenge for confident Bagan in I-League - Jan 18, 2012
- Dempo move step closer to I-League title - Apr 11, 2012
- Churchill's chance to claim No.2 spot - Feb 05, 2012
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- Holders Salgaocar eye win against relegated Chirag United - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: air india, brothers sports club, calicut, churchill bros, churchill brothers, consolation, dempo, durai, final game, four minutes, goal difference, half an hour, karim, league standings, margao, moroccan, nehru stadium, scorer, shambles, three chances