Chong Wei wins India Open Super SeriesMay 1st, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) World No.1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia defeated a fighting Peter Gade 21-12, 12-21, 21-15 to win the inaugural India Open Super Series badminton men’s singles title here Saturday.
Third-seeded Gade, 34, stood upto the challenge from the World No.1 and matched him shot by shot but fell short at the end of a thrilling hour long match, which enthralled a good turn out here at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
In the first game, Gade led 4-2, but slumped to a slew of errors and Chong Wei swiftly took seven points on trot for a 9-3 lead. The Malaysian controlled the rallies and was soon up a game.
Gade made a brave return in the second game, leading 12-8. Both tested each other at the net and it was excellent badminton on show. Gade with some plucky smashes consolidated the lead and it was 1-1.
A tense third game was fought tooth and nail before Ching Wei broke away from 9-9 and established a three points lead that he held on tightly to win the match.
- India Open Super Series: Lee Chong Wei, Porntip win singles titles (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Chong Wei-Peter Gade final at India Open Super series (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Gade in India Open Super Series final - Apr 30, 2011
- I will return to defend my title: Lee Chong Wei - May 01, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Saina reaches final, will attempt hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh continues his giant-killing spree - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open: Sourabh, Sai Dutt lose in quarters to end home challenge - Apr 29, 2011
- CWG badminton: Gallant India go down to Malaysia, settle for silver (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Saina moves to elimination round of Super Series Finals - Dec 15, 2011
- India Open badminton: Saina knocked out in prequarters (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Lin Dan hopes to see Lee Chong Wei in top form at Olympics - May 22, 2012