Chinese walker wins Sri Lankan heartsJune 12th, 2012 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 12 (IANS) Sportsmanship was displayed at the ongoing 15th Asian Junior Athletics Championships when a young Chinese walker presented his new pair of shoes to Sri Lankan runner who walked bare-foot Tuesday.
Zhang Zhi, who took bronze in the 10,000-metre race walking in 45 minutes 05 seconds, gave his shoes to D.W. Pradeep Madushanka who was two laps behind him and completed at ninth, Xinhua reported.
“I was so touched by his generous act of giving a new pair of shoes which he had worn only for this event,” said Madushanka with a sense of gratitude.
“One reason for me to run bare-foot was that I did not have a good pair of shoes,” said Madushanka, a soldier coming from a rural village of Tissamaharamaya in southern Sri Lanka.
Madushanka is one of the troops from the Sri Lankan Army competing at the Asian Junior Athletic Championships.
The spectators witnessed Zhang removed his shoes as soon as he completed the race and handed them over to the Sri Lankan runner.
“This is genuine display of real sportsmanship that serves the meaning of sports,” said a technical officer.
- Kuldeep bags gold in 10k-metre walk in Asian junior athletics - Jun 12, 2012
- Impressive wins for Balu, Kutty - Aug 26, 2012
- India's Bhakti Kulkarni wins junior Asian chess championship - Jun 08, 2011
- 34 minutes - the time it takes for a new pair of shoes to pinch! - Nov 27, 2010
- Big field for Indian Junior Open squash - Sep 05, 2011
- Around 300 runners take part in Mumbai barefoot half marathon - Dec 12, 2010
- Running barefoot beats pricey sneakers - Jan 28, 2010
- We were born to run barefoot - Jan 28, 2010
- Top juniors for IGU golf - May 25, 2012
- Two Indian walkers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 27, 2011
- Maiden win for Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 17, 2011
- Ghorpade signs up for Formula Pilota - May 29, 2012
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
- Man repays debt of neighbours' kindness with shoes - Feb 21, 2012
- Running barefoot better for health than with shoes - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: athletic championships, colombo, generous act, genuine display, gratitude, hearts, laps, metre race, new pair of shoes, pair of shoes, pradeep, rural village, soldier, southern sri lanka, spectators, Sports, sportsmanship, sri lankan army, xinhua, zhang zhi