Chinese shooters ready for Games, says head coachJuly 11th, 2012 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 11 (IANS) Wang Yifu, head coach of Chinese shooting team for London Games, expects a hard time for his team at the London Olympics, but believes the shooters will make every effort to show the best performance.
China had always been a competitive team in shooting event. The shooting powerhouse, making the best of the home court advantage, swept five out of the 10 golds on offer at the pistol and rifle event four years ago in Beijing Games, reports Xinhua.
However, it would not be an easy job to repeat that accomplishment in London.
“The team finished a four-week training session in the past month, and I’m glad to find that most players improved their stability.”
Shooting will produce the first gold in London, and China has sent young girls Yi Siling and Yu Dan to seek their opportunity on the 10m air rifle event.
Eight years ago, Du Li finished the task in the 2004 Games, but the huge pressure stopped her from doing that again in Beijing 2008.
In London 2012, the world record holder Yi would carry that burden.
“The first gold is always difficult to get. However, the pressure is the same with other teams,” said Wang.
“No one can book the gold before the final shot, and that’s the beauty of the shooting sport.”
With less than 20 days left before the opening of the London event, Wang and his shooters are trying their best to help the team.
“I hope all our athletes can get their satisfactory result, and the shooters are also trying hard for the goal,” said Wang. “I’m confident of every fight.”
- Chinese shooter Yi wins first gold of London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: India's rifle shooters miss gold by a point (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian shooters continue to disappoint - Nov 17, 2010
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games: Indian shooters win silver, badminton teams lose (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Dramatic final shot gives China's Guo shooting gold - Jul 29, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Asian Games: Unimpressive start for India in shooting - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Asian Games: Narang shines on day one, Bindra, Rajput unlucky (Evening Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Injuries to spikers hurt China's Olympics medal hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 10m air rifle, beijing 2008, best performance, competitive team, easy job, head coach, home court advantage, london 2012, london event, london games, london olympics, satisfactory result, shooters, shooting sport, shooting team, siling, wang yifu, will make every effort, world record holder, xinhua