Chinese Olympic champs face university dismissalSeptember 8th, 2010 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 8 (IANS) Two Olympic champions from China are facing a possible dismissal from a university in the country after they failed to attend enough classes for their Masters programmes.
Yang Wei, individual gymnastics gold medalist in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and Gao Ling, gold medalist in badminton, are set to lose out on their academic career after the college in which they were enrolled listed them and other 305 students as “would be dismissed” for their failure to finish study within four years, the Shanghai Daily reported.
Yang, who had enrolled in the School of Administration and Management of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Hubei province five years ago, said he didn’t know about the dismissal and will try to get in touch with his school to find out.
Gao, who entered the school a year earlier than Yang, said she was currently working on her master’s degree paper and would contact her tutor as soon as possible.
The authorities said students who feel the action was unjustified could communicate with them in writing.
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- China to train foreign ping pong players - Dec 27, 2010
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Former gymnastics champ lives in poverty in China - Jul 16, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- Olympic badminton: China's Yang quits badminton after being expelled - Aug 02, 2012
- Shanghai may get its first boys school - Mar 23, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- China's badminton coach plays down Olympic hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Ethiopia's Dibaba retains 10,000m Olympic title - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: 'Super Dan' plays Lee again in the final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Exquisite Kanaeva twirls for rhythmic gold - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, academic career, authorities, badminton, champs, china, chinese olympic, failure, gao ling, gold medalist, gymnastics, masters, olympic champions, olympics, science and technology, shanghai, tutor, university of science and technology, yang wei