Chinese firms keen to invest in Rome Grand PrixOctober 13th, 2010 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Oct 13 (IANS/AKI) Chinese firms are interested in investing in Rome’s first Formula One Grand Prix, scheduled to take place in 2012-13, according to the company involved in organising the race.
“Chinese tourism officials have signalled they are eager to invest in the Rome Grand Prix, which has the potential to be an event with great international appeal,” said Eur SpA in a statement.
The company promotes cultural and sporting events in Rome’s southwestern suburb of Eur, where it plans to hold the Grand Prix.
The Chinese officials expressed their enthusiasm about the Rome GP during recent meetings with top Eur SpA executives, including its president Pierluigi Borghini and CEO Riccardo Mancini, the company said.
The manager of the consortium organising the Rome GP, Maurizio Flammini, announced the event in September after a meeting with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.
The initial five-year contract will be renewable, Flammini said.
Rome’s mayor Gianni Alemanno is one of the biggest supporters of the race which he estimates will bring a crucial one billion euros annually to Rome.
He says objections to the Rome GP, which is planned as a road race around the Eur district in the month of August, will be overcome.
EUR residents are concerned about atmospheric and noise pollution caused by the race, which is planned on a street circuit like the Monaco Grand Prix.
Alemanno and the race’s organisers claim the Rome race will not threaten the world-famous Italian GP in Monza.
The Italian GP, one of oldest events on the motor racing calendar, traditionally takes place in September.
- Rome mayor receives bullet through mail - Apr 14, 2011
- Rome holds gay tennis tournament - Oct 01, 2010
- Two injured in bomb explosions in Rome (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- World Superbike sealed, talks on for Moto GP: Jaypee - Apr 12, 2012
- MotoGP: Simoncelli's body returns to Italy - Oct 26, 2011
- Berlusconi aide to act in porn movie - Aug 20, 2012
- Buddh Circuit to host Superbike World Championship in 2013 - Jun 09, 2012
- Judge dismisses Berlusconi tax-evasion case - Jun 28, 2012
- Collision causes wipeout at 350-year-old Italian horse race - Aug 17, 2012
- Zuckerberg honeymooning in Rome - May 29, 2012
- Penelope Cruz in Rome to work on Woody Allen film - Jul 08, 2011
- Pope appeals to spare life of Pakistani Christian woman - Nov 18, 2010
- D'Ambrosio to replace Grosjean for Italian GP - Sep 05, 2012
- Gearbox penalty for di Resta - Sep 08, 2012
- Rome clears Europe's largest gypsy camp - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: bernie ecclestone, borghini, chinese firms, chinese officials, formula one grand prix, gianni alemanno, gp one, international appeal, italian gp, maurizio, monaco grand prix, month of august, monza, noise pollution, one billion, pierluigi, prix rome, riccardo, southwestern suburb, tourism officials