Chinese fans wonder if Yao Ming’s baby will be an AmericanMarch 4th, 2010 - 10:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Mar 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Chinese fans of the NBA centre Yao Ming are very worried, that the unborn baby of the NBA centre Yao Ming will be a Chinese or an American. Yao Ming is all set to become a father in the summers, and this news has deeply unsettled his Chinese fans.
Yao Ming is a huge celebrity in China as well, and in 2007 he married Ye Li, in Shanghai. Ye Li is a basketball player as well, and the couple is expecting their first-born (a baby girl) in July. Their Chinese fans are worried that if the baby were born in America, then she would be an American, which is a thought that is not liked by most of his Chinese fans.
Presently the NBA centre is recuperating from a broken left foot, and recently he came back to the US with his wife, which started the citizenship buzz amongst his fans. If the baby girl were born in America, then she would automatically become a citizen of America. However as she is the offspring of two Chinese nationals, so she can claim Chinese citizenship as well, but the problem is that the Chinese government doesn’t permit dual citizenship.
“Yao Ming is an individual, not a political tool,” was the opinion of a fan on the famous basketball Web site Hoop China. “He has the right to choose where his child is born and what kinds of medical care and education will be available to her. His child’s citizenship has nothing to do with loyalty.” “Only an idiot would pass up American citizenship,” said another fan on the website.
- Yao Ming says that the birthplace of his baby is a private matter - Mar 06, 2010
- Will Yao Ming's Baby Be The Next American Basketball Star? - Mar 04, 2010
- Houston Rockets Player Yao Ming's Unborn Baby Grabs Widespread Attention - Mar 06, 2010
- Yao Ming's Unborn Baby Creates A Buzz - Mar 04, 2010
- Yao Ming's Wife Pregnant With Their First Baby - Jan 07, 2010
- Former NBA star Yao Ming eyeing film business - Jan 31, 2012
- Michael Jordan sues Chinese firm - Feb 23, 2012
- After China, NBA sets sight on India to promote basketball - Sep 11, 2010
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Height is no problem in basketball, says NBA shorty - Jan 09, 2012
- China's star basketballer rules out London Olympics comeback - Sep 29, 2011
- NBA's Asian star Lin seeks trademark on 'Linsanity' - Feb 24, 2012
- NBA 2K12 to be available on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii & PC - Oct 05, 2011
- Jack Osbourne becomes US citizen - Apr 19, 2012
- Chinese farmers' NBA-like league is a big draw - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: american citizenship, baby girl, basketball player, basketball web, buzz, chinese fans, chinese government, chinese nationals, dual citizenship, government doesn, left foot, loyalty, medical care, nba, offspring, political tool, shanghai, unborn baby, yao ming, ye li