China’s Yang wins her first ITF singles titleJune 18th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi , June 18 (IANS) China’s unseeded Zhaoxuan Yang claimed her maiden ITF singles title with an impeccable 6-2, 6-0 victory over a tired sixth-seeded Hae-Sung Kim of South Korea in the $10,000 women’s tournament at the DLTA complex here Saturday.
The 16-year-old, who ended the run of the lone surviving Indian Prerna Bhambri Friday, continued from where she left off and outplayed Hae-Sung in an hour and a half clash.
After her energy-sapping three-set singles semifinal against third-seeded Mexican Nadia Abdala and then the doubles final, which she won with compatriot Ju-Eun Kim Friday, the Korean struggled to reach the Chinese’s flat, powerful grounstrokes.
The Korean’s serve lacked sting and her movements were languid whereas Yang, who had problems with her first serve in the semifinal, did not drop her serve and fired five aces.
Playing fluently on both the flanks, especially the backhand, Yang notched up a heavily lopsided first set in 37 minutes.
She was quick off the blocks in the second set with a wayward Kim spraying her shots recklessly. The Korean, however, showed a semblance of resistance in the sixth game when she saved nine match points on her serve before hitting a backhand long.
- Indian challenge over with Prerna losing tamely - Jun 17, 2011
- Prerna lone Indian in ITF semifinals - Jun 16, 2011
- Rutuja beats Ratnika to enter ITF tournament quarters - Jun 15, 2011
- Prerna, Ratnika in ITF semis - Jun 23, 2011
- Prerna to meet Shlomo in ITF women's final - Jun 24, 2011
- Rutuja in ITF women's quarterfinals - Jun 22, 2011
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Rushmi shocked, Ratnika rallies to beat Ashvarya in ITF tourney - Jun 21, 2011
- Indian campaign over in French Open Super Series - Oct 27, 2011
- Prerna bows out of Delhi ITF - May 13, 2011
- Prerna continues to come through three-setters - May 12, 2011
- Prerna Bhambri clinches maiden ITF women's title - Jun 25, 2011
- Asina Games tennis: India enter medal round in three events - Nov 20, 2010
- Saina, Jwala-Diju in world badminton quarters - Aug 26, 2010
- Asian Games tennis: Sania in singles, mixed doubles quarters (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010