China’s Wang finally lifts Olympic goldJuly 29th, 2012 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) China’s four-time world champion Mingjuan Wang finally won an Olympic weightlifting gold Saturday, needing just three lifts to blow away the rest of the field.
Wang, the world No. 1 in the 48 kg category, missed the last two Games, including on home turf in Beijing, through injury, but at last clinched the elusive title at the age of 26.
Wang recorded a combined 205 kg from the snatch and clean and jerk categories, a massive eight kilos ahead of silver medallist Hiromi Miyake of Japan.
North Korea’s Chun Hwa Ryang grabbed the bronze on her last lift from Thailand’s 17-year-old prodigy Sirivimon Pramongkhol.
Wang raced into a commanding lead in the snatch, lifting 91 kg after an early wobble on 88 kg, which would still have taken top spot.
She lifted 110 kg in the clean and jerk on first attempt, before rising to 114 kg.
Wang buckled under 116 kg, but by then the competition was over. Miyake missed 113 kg on her last attempt, but it wouldn’t have been enough anyway.
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Ukraine's Torokhtiy wins 105kg event - Aug 07, 2012
- Weightlifting: Kazakh prodigy takes gold, world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Record-breaker Lu lifts gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: North Korea's Om wins gold with record lift - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Indian men lifters fail in 62kg category, women in 53kg - Oct 06, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Soniya, Sandhya win first medals for India (LEAD) - Oct 04, 2010
- Indian lifters fail in 62-kg category - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Games weightlifting: Sudhir finishes sixth in 77kg - Nov 16, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: beijing, commanding lead, elusive title, home turf, hwa, kg, last attempt, miyake, north korea, olympic gold, olympic weightlifting, prodigy, ria novosti, ryang, silver medallist, Thailand, time world champion, two games, vd, wobble