China’s Liu Xiang will be ready for Olympics: CoachJuly 15th, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 15 (IANS) Liu Xiang’s back injury which forced him out of Saturday night’s London Diamond League final will not affect his chance of winning at the Olympic Games in three weeks time, his coach Sun Haiping said here Sunday.
“It’s just a slight problem. Liu felt a little uncomfortable in his back after the heat round. We decided to pull out of the finals just for the sake of caution,” Sun was quoted as saying by Xinhua, adding that after a night’s rest Liu is feeling a lot better.
“Liu could have finished the race if we wanted him to. But we thought that it was unnecessary in this event,” said Sun.
To avoid the wet and cold English weather, Liu and his team is reportedly to have left England for training. But Sun declined to reveal where they will be going.
Liu had cruised into the 110m hurdles final after winning his heat in 13.27 seconds but failed to take his place on the start line for the final for the injury.
“I will be back for the Olympic Games,” Liu told Chinese reporters before boarding a coach for the Heathrow Airport.
The men’s 110m hurdles at the Olympic Games will be held August 7.
- Olympic athletics: Coach worried about Liu Xiang's foot injury - Aug 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Liu Xiang needs to run inside 12.95 for gold: coach - Jul 28, 2012
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: Heartbreak for Liu and Idowu in Tuesday's qualification - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt, Brathwaite anxiously eyeing semis - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt a deserving 110m hurdles champion (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- China cheers for first Tibetan Olympic medallist - Aug 13, 2012
- Liu dominates 110m hurdles, Powell takes 100m in Shanghai - May 20, 2012