China to send 396-strong team to London OlympicsJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) China will send 396 athletes in 23 sports categories for the upcoming London Olympic Games, it was announced Tuesday.
The team, consisting of 171 men and 225 women athletes, will also be accompanied by 225 officials for the Games which start July 27, reports Xinhua.
According to the Chinese Olympic Committee (COC), China will be represented in 23 of 26 sports at the Summer Games after it failed to qualify for football, equestrian and handball.
Li Changchun, member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee Tuesday encouraged the athletes to do their best at the London Games and make the country proud again.
At Beijing 2008, host China sent its biggest-ever Olympic team of 639 athletes winning 51 gold medals, and stunned the world by standing on top of the medal table on home soil.
By winning 51 golds, 21 silvers and 28 bronzes, China also relegated the United States to second place.
China’s sports head Liu Peng said China will face strong challenges in repeating the feats of Beijing Olympics and has warned against complacency.
“The athletes from around the world have worked very hard for the Games and they are so eager to make breakthrough and win medals, so the competitions will be hotly contested,” said Liu, head of the Chinese General Administration of Sport.
“The Chinese athletes must get fully prepared and ready to face the challenges. We have to fight for each gold.”
- 29 Olympic champions to spearhead China at London Games - Jul 10, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Beijing gold haul difficult in London: Chinese official - Apr 18, 2012
- Russia targets 25 gold medals in London Olympics - Apr 20, 2012
- Don't reject state-run sports, says Chinese daily - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics helped Chinese give new thinking, says daily - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic medals attest to China's progress, says daily - Aug 06, 2012
- Medals don't determine honour or dishonour: China Daily - Aug 02, 2012
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: beijing 2008, beijing olympics, bronzes, chinese athletes, chinese olympic, cpc central committee, general administration, gold medals, home soil, li changchun, london games, london olympics, medal table, olympic committee, olympic games, olympic team, s sports, summer games, women athletes, xinhua