China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quartersSeptember 15th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 15 (IANS) India’s badminton star Saina Nehwal overcame mid-match jitters to eke out a stiff 21-11, 18-21, 27-25 victory over Japan’s Ayane Kurihara and entered the women’s singles quarterfinals of the China Masters Super Series badminton tournament in Changzhou Thursday.
It took fifth-seeded Indian one hour and 12 minutes to stave off the challenge of the unseeded Japanese girl.
Saina next plays top seed Yihan Wang of China Friday.
In the mixed doubles, the Indian pair of Jwala Gutta and V. Diju also reached the quarterfinals. They defeated South Korea’s Yong Dae Lee and Jung Eun Ha 21-19, 21-17.
They now play Robert Blair of Scotland and Gabrielle White of England.
In the men’s singles, Parupalli Kashyap went down in straight sets to Peter Gade of Germany 18-21, 15-21 in the second round.
In the men’s doubles, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas also lost in the second round 13-21, 9-21 to fourth seeds Sung Hyun Ko and Yeon Seong Yoo of Korea.
- Saina Nehwal crashes out of China Masters - Sep 16, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Chinese power on show at Asian badminton - Apr 17, 2010
- Saina in quarterfinals of Indonesia Open - Jun 23, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Indian campaign over in French Open Super Series - Oct 27, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian Open: Neha goes down in pre-quarters - Apr 26, 2012
- Saina enters second round of Swiss Open - Mar 14, 2012
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- Saina, Jwala-Diju in world badminton quarters - Aug 26, 2010
- Saina loses to Tine Baun in Hong Kong Open - Nov 18, 2011
- Jayaram, Kashyap crash out of Swiss Open - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: ayane, badminton tournament, changzhou, dae, gabrielle, gutta, indian pair, japanese girl, jitters, kashyap, kurihara, mixed doubles, peter gade, robert blair, rupesh, saina nehwal, south korea, straight sets, sung hyun, victory over japan