China favours torch relay in London for ParalympicsApril 14th, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr.14 (ANI): China wants to parade the Olympic flame through London again in advance of the Paralympic Games.
The Paralympic torch is scheduled to arrive in London on August 31, before moving on to Sochi in Russia and Hong Kong. It will also pass through Vancouver and will reappear in Beijing in time for the opening ceremony of the Paralympics on September 6, reports The Times.
Although many of the torchbearers are likely to be disabled athletes, protesters have vowed to take to the streets of London if China has not improved its record in Tibet and on human rights.
The event raises the possibility of demonstrators charging into the path of wheelchair-bound sports stars in an attempt to extinguish the Olympic flame.
Beijing officials have been liaising with the British Paralympic Association (BPA) to organise the UK leg of the new relay and the Metropolitan Police have been put on standby.
Scrapping the event would be regarded by China as a snub, but a compromise could involve the torch being carried along a very short route or in an enclosed environment such as an open-top bus.
The Greater London Authority, which organised last weekends event, said it had received no formal proposal for a second torch relay. (ANI)
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic torch reaches Vancouver - Feb 12, 2010
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Paralympic flame lit - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: british paralympic association, demonstrators, favours, formal proposal, greater london authority, metropolitan police, olympic flame, opening ceremony, paralympic games, paralympic torch, paralympics, protesters, snub, sochi, sports stars, streets of london, tibet, torch relay, torchbearers, uk leg