China conducts 2000 dope tests for Asian GamesNovember 12th, 2010 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 12 (IANS) In a bid to provide dope-free Asian Games, the China Anti-Doping Agency has conducted nearly 2,000 tests.
A total of 1,950 tests, including 120 blood tests, have been conducted since August, Xinhua reported.
Every single member of the 1,000-strong Chinese delegation for the Games has been tested.
“We hope that China will keep a clean record. We have been working hard to send a clean team to the Asian Games and ensure there is no positive case in our delegation,” said Jiang Zhixue, anti-doping chief in China’s State General Administration of Sport.
Jiang said the large number of doping tests served as a deterrent measure while anti-doping education is preventive in the fight against drug cheats as the Chinese delegation again adopted the anti-doping education admission system like they did in the National Games last year.
All the athletes were requested to read anti-doping materials and had to sign a letter of commitment, pledging to abide by the anti-doping rules.
“We refined the system that was initiated in last year’s National Games,” said Jiang. “No athlete is allowed into the team before they finish the required anti-doping education, no matter how great their sport achievements are.”
Jiang said the education system will be carried on and extend to provincial and amateur athletes.
“Doping tests are a deterrent measure while education can be preventive. Besides, it is not possible for a country to test all the athletes, both professional and amateur. That’s where the education comes in,” said Jiang.
- To ensure drug-free Asian Games, China conducts 2000 doping tests - Nov 11, 2010
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese anti-doping official warns athletes - Jul 24, 2012
- China conducting Olympic standard doping tests for Asiad - Nov 07, 2010
- Russia's London-bound athletes to undergo dope test - May 25, 2012
- Doping scandal to haunt India for long - Jul 10, 2011
- Two more Indian athletes fail dope tests - Jul 04, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- SAI notice to coaches, doctor at NIS Patiala - Jul 07, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Robust doping controls in place for CWG - Sep 03, 2010
- New test detects growth hormone doping - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: admission system, amateur athletes, asian games, athlete, blood tests, cheats, china, chinese delegation, dope tests, doping chief, education system, general administration, letter of commitment, national games, sport achievements, xinhua