China beat South Korea to reclaim Uber CupMay 27th, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Wuhan (China), May 27 (IANS) China reclaimed the Uber Cup badminton event after beating South Korea 3-0 in the final here.
China blanked the South Koreans Saturday for their 12th Uber Cup trophy. South Korea had stunned the Asian giants to win the tournament two years ago.
World No.1 Wang Yihan, a self-claimed “culprit” in China’s 1-3 loss to South Korea in 2010, didn’t lose a single set at the 2012 edition until conceding one to Sung Ji Hyun.
Leading 14-12 lead in the first set, Wang allowed Sung to grab nine straight points for a 21-14 scoreline.
“I felt it was like a deja vu when I took a glimpse at the trophy. All those uncomfortable memories flooded back,” recalled Wang in the press conference. “But I didn’t give up.”
Wang saved four straight match points to win the second set 22-20 and swept the third set 21-13, Xinhua reports.
“It’s a milestone for me: now I can proudly say that I’m over it (the 2010 loss to South Korea,” said Wang.
Wang said that she even saw Chinese head coach Li Yongbo bursted into tears when she won the match point.
World top women’s doubles duo of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli sent China one step nearer to the Cup as they breezed through Kim Min Jung and Ha Jung Eun 21-15, 21-13.
Multi Superseries winner Wang Xin faced no problem against Bae Youn Joo, winning 21-10, 21-16.
- China vows to take back Uber Cup - May 18, 2012
- Saina in Malaysian Open final - May 07, 2011
- Saina moves to elimination round of Super Series Finals - Dec 15, 2011
- Uber Cup loss helps Chinese women's team in Asiad - Nov 14, 2010
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Gade in India Open Super Series final - Apr 30, 2011
- IOC to investigate coaches' role in badminton scandal - Aug 02, 2012
- Lee Chong Wei keeping relaxed ahead of London Olympics - May 21, 2012
- China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quarters - Sep 15, 2011
- Lin Dan to lead China's challenge in Thomas Cup - May 18, 2012
- Chong Wei-Peter Gade final at India Open Super series (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- India Open badminton: Saina knocked out in prequarters (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Saina fights her way into Malaysian Open semis - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: asian giants, chinese head, culprit, cup trophy, deja vu, head coach, ji hyun, kim min jung, match point, match points, milestone, south korea, south koreans, straight points, top women, wang wang, xiaoli, xin, xinhua, youn