Chettri’s brace help India to beat Portuguese sideAugust 19th, 2010 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Fatima (Portugal), Aug 19 (IANS) Sunil Chettri scored a brace as India defeated second division Portugese side UniÃ£o Desportiva da Serra 3-1 in a practice football match here at Pope John Paul II Stadium.
Sushil Kumar Singh struck the third goal. UniÃ£o Desportiva da Serra midfielder Pedro scored the second goal of the match, cancelling out Chettri’s first strike and levelling the score in the match played Wednesday.
India started off impressively and made numerous inroads in the opponent citadel. Their hard work paid off in the 35th minute when Chettri, who is coming back from a stint with Kansas City Wizards, headed in Anthony Pereira’s cross from the left flank.
India successfully held their one-goal advantage and went for the breather with a 1-0 lead.
India made three changes prior to the start of second session. Clifford Miranda came in for Steven Dias, while Mehrajuddin Wadoo made his way in the midfield replacing Climax Lawrence. Abhishek Yadav joined Chettri up front replacing inform striker Mohammed Rafi.
In the second half, Yadav suffered a knee injury and coach Bob Houghton was forced to replace the striker by Sushil.
India gave away the lead in the 56th minute conceding a spot kick, on which Pedro made no mistake to bring the host back into the match.
Chettri was soon in thick of action and completed his brace heading in Sushil’s cross in the 75th minute to put India back in the lead. Five minutes later, Sushil headed in James Singh’s flag-kick to seal an impressive victory for India.
- India lose 0-1 to Mafra on Portugal tour - Aug 20, 2010
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- Chettri brace gives India 3-2 win over Malaysia - Nov 17, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- India beat Sertanense FC 3-2 in Portugal - Aug 25, 2010
- Monchengladbach into German Cup quarters - Dec 22, 2011
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Juninho leads Vasco da Gama to victory - Apr 01, 2012
- I-League: Mohun Bagan thrash Shillong Lajong - Apr 10, 2012
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Passing game way forward for Indian football: Coach Koevarmans - Aug 25, 2012
- Bayern Munich, Hannover triumph in Bundesliga - Sep 03, 2012
- India bow out of AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 11, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: abhishek, bob houghton, coach bob, fatima portugal, goal advantage, impressive victory, inroads, john paul ii, kansas city wizards, knee injury, left flank, midfield, midfielder, mohammed rafi, pope john paul, pope john paul ii, second session, sushil kumar, wadoo, yadav