Chettri unimpressive in debut against Colorado RapidsApril 14th, 2010 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) India forward Sunil Chhetri became the first Indian to play in the Major League Soccer (MLS) after he turned out for Kansas City Wizards, but the Wizards lost 1-2 to Colorado Rapids in the US Open Cup qualifying match.
According to information received here, the 25-year-old Chhetri played the opening 45 minutes Tuesday and started in an advanced central midfield role supporting striker Josh Wolff at the Stanley H. Durwood Soccer Stadium on the campus of the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC).
Chettri was disappointed with his performance.
“It was disappointing that we lost the match. I thought I had some good touches, but it’s going to take some time, and I’m going to go back to the training field and train hard,” he said on the club’s website.
Wizards manager Peter Vermes said: “He was ok. He was good in possession, but he wasn’t getting close enough to the goal. We’ve got to figure out different ways to get him closer to the goal.”
Chettri made it to the 24-man roster after Hungarian forward Zlotan suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (knee) in the second half of the Wizards’ game against AC St. Louis April 3. Chettri has performed well in the two practice matches scoring four goals, including a hattrick against the University of Evansville two weeks ago.
Chettri becomes the eighth Asian to play in MLS. He will also be the first Asian citizen to play for the Kansas City Wizards and the third Indian soccer player ever to ply his trade outside of his home nation.
Chettri becomes just the third Indian-born professional athlete currently in American professional team sports, with Pittsburgh Pirates minor-league pitchers Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel being the other two. NFL Linebacker Brandon Chillar of the Green Bay Packers and former NFL wide receiver Sanjay Beach are both of Indian descent as well.
- Chettri fails to impress on debut (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Chettri set for MLS debut for Kansas City Wizards - Apr 13, 2010
- Chettri's MLS debut chances brighten - Apr 05, 2010
- Chettri hopeful of making an impact at Kansas - Mar 26, 2010
- Chettri signs with Kansas Wizards soccer team - Mar 26, 2010
- Chettri strikes on debut for Kansas City - Apr 01, 2010
- Kansas City allows Chhetri to join Indian team in Portugal - Jul 31, 2010
- Chettri desperate to leave Kansas City Wizards - Jul 27, 2010
- Tough for Chettri to break into Kansas Wizards sqaud - Mar 26, 2010
- Sunil Chettri in talks with Racing de Santander - Feb 11, 2011
- Paul leaves for Vancouver, Gourmangi for Melbourne - Jun 01, 2010
- Chettri disappointed, Rangers to monitor Indian strikers - Dec 02, 2011
- Dempo releases Chettri for Kansas City Wizards stint - Mar 16, 2010
- MLS stint has boosted my confidence, says Chhetri - Aug 02, 2010
- Injury worries for Paul ahead of trials at Whitecaps - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: anterior cruciate ligament, brandon chillar, dinesh patel, former nfl, green bay packers, indian soccer, josh wolff, kansas city wizards, major league soccer, minor league pitchers, missouri kansas city, nfl linebacker, peter vermes, pittsburgh pirates, professional athlete, professional team sports, ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, sanjay beach, university of missouri kansas, university of missouri kansas city