Chettri hopeful of trial at overseas clubsJune 20th, 2009 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, June 20 (IANS) After appearing for trials at English club Coventry, India striker Sunil Chettri hoped that very soon he will get call for trials from other foreign clubs as well.
“You will come to know about it soon, wait for a week or so,” Chettri said at a football coaching camp, jointly organised by www.magicoffootball.com and Amity University, here Saturday.
Chetri said his manager is negotiating with some other sides.
The Delhi boy also said that Asian Football Confederation (AFC) new rule which says that professional clubs in the continent can field four foreigners, but one has to be of Asian origin, will also open up opportunities for Indian players.
“Whether it’s me, Subrata Pal or Steven Dias, somebody has to start it. Once it is done, things would become easier,” Chettri said.
He was also excited at India’s tour to Dubai and Spain to prepare for the Nehru Cup in August.
“We are the holders. So there will be pressure on us while playing before the home crowd,” he said.
Asked about India’s 147 rank in the world, Chettri said the national team has done well despite lack of facilities and infrastructure.
“In the last two-and-a-half years, we have played 28 matches, won 24, lost three and drawn one. That’s a very good record. We have moved up from 160 to 140 during this period and if we have slipped a little bit, that’s because we have not played matches recently.”
“If we win, it’s victory for every Indian. If we lose, it’s defeat for everyone. In cricket, even I want Dhoni’s men to win. So you have to back your team and we need everyone’s support to do well,” Chettri said.
- Chettri to go club hunting after July - Jun 26, 2012
- Dempo releases Chettri for Kansas City Wizards stint - Mar 16, 2010
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Sporting Lisbon signs Chhetri for its reserve team - Jul 05, 2012
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Chettri's MLS debut chances brighten - Apr 05, 2010
- Sporting Lisbon may rope in Sunil Chettri - Jul 05, 2012
- Houghton to try out different attacking options against Thailand - Sep 07, 2010
- Chettri disappointed, Rangers to monitor Indian strikers - Dec 02, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- Houghton expects Portugal camp to be productive - Jun 30, 2010
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India gear up for a tough start against Afghanistan - Dec 02, 2011
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Rafi is best Indian footballer, Odafe foreigner of the year - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: afc, amity university, asian football confederation, asian origin, continent, coventry, cricket, dhoni, dubai, football coaching, foreigners, home crowd, hopeful, little bit, nehru cup, overseas clubs, professional clubs, striker, sunil, two and a half years