Chettri brace gives India 3-2 win over MalaysiaNovember 17th, 2011 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 16 (IANS) Star striker Sunil Chettri struck a brace as India defeated Malaysia 3-2 in the second international football friendly at the Salt Lake Stadium here Wednesday.
Chettri scored twice - in the 39th and the 53rd minute and fellow striker Jeje Lalpekhlua added the third in the 47th minute. Mohammed. Sali Safee scored in the 45th and 59th minute.
The Indians played a free-flowing game and dominated proceedings in both the sessions. In fact, the Indians could have won by a bigger margin but for some inept finishing.
The midfield combination of Baldeep Singh, Francis Fernandes, Rocus Lamare and Lalrindika Ralte combined well and never allowed the rivals to settle down. Baldeep was a revelation in the central midfield played a crucial role while captain Rahim Nabi was inspirational in his new role.
“The boys played their hearts out. It’s good to end with a victory. We did make quite a few changes in the playing XI and it paid off. The SAFF Championship is knocking at the door and we needed to give a chance to everyone to gauge their match temperament,” said India coach Savio Medeira.
“We didn’t get much time to prepare for the match but the boys rose to the occasion,” he said.
Chettri said it was a great feeling to score for India.
“We played well. It’s a special feeling when you score for your country,” he said.
The first international Friendly between the two teams that was held in Guwahati ended 1-1.
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- India retain SAFF Cup, pound four goals on 10-man Afghanistan - Dec 11, 2011
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- Medeira blasts referee for denying penalty to India - Dec 03, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India need draw against Sri Lanka for semi-final berth - Dec 06, 2011
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul dropped - Nov 02, 2011
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: 53rd, 59th minute, central midfield, fernandes, guwahati, indians, international football, kolkata, lamare, mohammed, nabi, rahim, rivals, rocus, saff championship, sali, savio, star striker, sunil, temperament