Chetan, Saina for PSPB badmintonMarch 16th, 2008 - 7:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) National champion Chetan Anand, Arvind Bhat and promising P Kashyap - besides leading women like Saina Nehwal and Trupti Murgunde - will be the top draws at the Petroleum Sports Promotion Board badminton tournament from Monday. Other top shuttlers also will be in action at the tournament. The only notable absentee in the men’s singles event will be Anup Sridhar, who is sitting out because of an injury sustained during the Swiss Open last week.
Besides Saina and Trupti, the field will include Aparna Balan (No.3 seed) and Aditi Mutatkar (No. 4) and B.R.Meenakshi.
The top doubles pairings will include Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian among women, and Rupesh Kumar and V Diju in the men’s section.
The event assumes significance as the Indian Open Grand Prix, which is also an Olympic qualifying event, is scheduled from April 1 and the winner will carry a lot of confidence into the international meet, which has attracted some of the world’s top stars.
“A win here will be useful. My next focus will be on Indian Open and the Asian Championship, which will take place after this,” said Anand, the national champion.
A total of 100 players, from eight companies which form the PSPB, will participate in the five-day event.
- Indian badminton team for CWG announced - Sep 02, 2010
- Saina to shoulder India's CWG badminton hopes - Sep 26, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India demolish Wales, in mixed team quarters - Oct 06, 2010
- India Open: Time Indian badminton stars performed at home - Jun 07, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India to face Canada in mixed team quarters - Oct 07, 2010
- PSPB win National Badminton team championships - Jan 06, 2011
- Saina steady at fourth, Sourabh jumps 45 places in world ranking - May 05, 2011
- Saina to spearhead Indian challenge in World Championships - Jul 13, 2010
- India win in Uber Cup, lose in Thomas Cup - May 10, 2010
- CWG badminton: Saina, Chetan move to third round - Oct 10, 2010
- Shuttlers confident of good show in Thomas Cup qualifiers - Feb 21, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India trounce Barbados in mixed team event - Oct 05, 2010
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Draw for badminton World Championship to be announced Tuesday - Jul 15, 2009
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: aditi, arvind, asian championship, badminton tournament, bhat, chetan anand, gutta, kashyap, kurian, leading women, national champion, promotion board, pspb, rupesh, saina, shuttlers, sports promotion, sridhar, top stars, trupti