Chetan Anand to face Hiroyuki in Asian badmintonApril 15th, 2008 - 6:09 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) National champion and Indian Open Grand Prix runners-up Chetan Anand will open his campaign against Endo Hiroyuki of Japan in the $1,25,000 Badminton Asia Championships starting Wednesday at Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The other Indians in the fray are Anup Sridhar, Ananad Pawar and P. Kashyap in the men’s singles, while national champion Saina Nehwal, Trupti Mugunde and Aditi Mutatkar will spearhead India’s challenge in the women’s singles category.
Both Sridhar and Pawar will have tough first round matches as they faces seventh seed Sung Hwan Park of South Korea and 10th seed Indonesian Simon Santoso respectively. Kashyap will meet Yi Lu of China.
In the women’s section, Newhal, seeded eighth, will be up against Julia Pei Xian Wong of Singapore in the first round, while Mutatkar and Murgunde will play Hong Kong’s Pui Yin Yip and Porntip Buranaprasertsuk of Thailand respectively.
Meanwhile, top men’s doubles duo of Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas will square up against fourth seed Indonesian Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Luluk Hadiyanto, while compatriot Akshay Devalkar and V. Diju will meet Ehad Noubani and Mohd Naser Mansour Nayef of Jordan.
India’s ace women’s doubles combination of Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian got a bye in the first round, and will face top seed Wei Yang and Jiewin Zhang of China next.
India’s challenge in the mixed doubles category will be lead by Diju and Gutta, who will take on seventh seed Sang Hoon Han and Yu Mi Hwang of South Korea in the opening round.
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- India's challenge ends in Asian Badminton Championship - Apr 17, 2008
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- India win in Uber Cup, lose in Thomas Cup - May 10, 2010
- Saina steady at fourth, Sourabh jumps 45 places in world ranking - May 05, 2011
- Olympics badminton: Jwala-Diju suffer second straight defeat - Jul 29, 2012
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Saina in third round of World Badminton - Aug 10, 2011
- Bhat, Murgunde out of Asian Badminton - Apr 14, 2010
- Jayaram, Kashyap crash out of Swiss Open - Mar 15, 2012
- China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quarters - Sep 15, 2011
- Olympics: Kashyap brings cheer after early reverses (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Tuesday - Jul 31, 2012
- Saina seeded second at Malaysian Open - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: aditi, alvent yulianto, chetan anand, compatriot, gutta, hwang, johor bahru malaysia, jwala, kashyap, kurian, mixed doubles, national champion, nayef, pawar, pei xian, rupesh, saina nehwal, shruti, trupti, wei yang