Chennai ideal Davis Cup venue to host Australia: MisraMarch 17th, 2009 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) India’s Davis Cup non-playing captain S.P. Misra is delighted that All India Tennis Association (AITA) has gone along with the players in choosing Chennai as the venue for the Davis Cup tie against Australia from May 8-10.
India, thus, will host a tie on a hardcourt for the first time in 30 years, preferring to the more favoured grasscourts.
Chennai is Indian tennis’s new star Somdev Devvarman’s home as he learnt the game and played all his early tennis in the southern metropolis. Moreover, hardcourt is his favourite surface. Even Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi are at home on hardcourts.
“I am very happy that players’ choice have been accepted. I am sure players are equally thrilled to be playing the tie in Chennai. AITA has sought players’ opinion before taking the decision.
“Chennai is the ideal venue for us as the players are familiar with the heat and the conditions there,” Misra said.
Misra said that Australia struggled to beat Thailand 3-2 and former World No. 1
Lleyton Hewitt lost to Danai Udomchoke over five sets.
“When Thailand can stretch Australia, I am confident that our boys can put it across them.”
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Chennai to host India-Australia Davis Cup tie - Mar 17, 2009
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Chennai to host India-Brazil Davis Cup tie - Jun 05, 2010
- India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tie - Apr 16, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Aircel to sponsor Indian Davis Cup team - Sep 09, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna dropped from Davis Cup team - Aug 18, 2012
- India to play Brazil at home in Davis Cup - May 11, 2010
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- We had a good chance of beating Australia: Misra - Apr 25, 2009
- Somdev to lead Indian challenge in Davis Cup, CWG - Aug 13, 2010
- India set up a Davis Cup date with Australia - Mar 08, 2009
- Tennis top guns confirm they will play in CWG - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: aita, chennai, danai udomchoke, davis cup, davis cup tie, favoured, hardcourt, hardcourts, indian tennis, leander paes, lleyton hewitt, mahesh bhupathi, march 17, misra, New Delhi, new star, s davis, somdev devvarman, southern metropolis, tennis association