Chelsea’s Abramovich splashes 300 M pounds on 557-ft yachtJune 15th, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 15 (ANI): Chelsea owner owner Roman Abramovich has entered a league of his own after splashing out 300-million pounds on this 557ft mega-yacht.
The 42-year-old Russian billionaire’s “floating fortress” has a missile detection system and a mini-sub that doubles as an “escape pod”, the Daily Star reports.
The boat, named The Eclipse, was secretly constructed in Germany and also has two helipads and its own pool.
An engineer who worked on it said: “Abramovich wanted everything top of the range, from the toilet roll holders to the sound system. It has all been custom-built for him with a multi-million pound defence system. Attackers don’t stand a chance.”
It means the 530-ft vessel owned by Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, 59, is no longer the world’s biggest private boat.
Abramovich already owns a “team” of luxury cruisers, including the 377-ft Pelorus, the 282-ft Ecstasea and the 161-ft Sussurro.
His love of the water goes back to the first business he ran from his flat in Moscow…flogging plastic ducks. (ANI)
- World's largest yacht is 590 feet long - Jun 13, 2012
- Roman Abramovich unable to dock his 'Eclipse' yacht as it is too big - Aug 25, 2011
- Abramovich down to his last 7 billion pounds - Dec 23, 2008
- Luxury yacht worth $3.2 million sinks in Lake Tahoe - Jul 12, 2012
- Chelsea owner Abramovich's wealth declaration reveals his billions from business - Feb 17, 2011
- Tiger Woods puts his yacht on sale for $25 million - Apr 01, 2011
- Chelseas billonaire owner Abramovich to buy 60 million pound Caribbean estate - Mar 13, 2009
- Abramovich to buy 200 m pound anti-pirate raid yacht - Oct 06, 2008
- Fairytale romance: Fisherman weds billionaire's daughter - Aug 19, 2010
- Jay-Z, Beyonce rent 180-foot Italian yacht for $377k a week - Aug 25, 2010
- Moss wants to buy luxury yacht - Jul 24, 2011
- Tiger Woods' 'Privacy' on sale for $25m - Mar 31, 2011
- Fergie lives it up aboard P Diddy's yacht - Jan 04, 2011
- Brazilian teenager to replace Drogba at Chelsea? - Mar 29, 2011
- Russia's richest tycoon names $100 mn Yacht after mother - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: attackers, billionaire, bin rashid al maktoum, chelsea owner, daily star, defence system, ecstasea, flogging, ft vessel, helipads, luxury cruisers, mega yacht, missile detection, mohammed bin rashid, mohammed bin rashid al maktoum, owner roman abramovich, plastic ducks, private boat, rashid al maktoum, toilet roll holders