Chelsea to launch 50 million pound bid for TorresJune 21st, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): Chelsea is ready to test Liverpool’s resolve with a 50 million pound bid for Fernando Torres.
Carlo Ancelotti has already targeted Torres’ Spain strike partner David Villa, offering Valencia 35 million pound.
Now, the Blues boss is ready to make an audacious attempt to unite Villa and Torres at club level.
Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will do all he can to block the move. But he is worried the huge sum offered by Chelsea could tempt American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.
Liverpool’s true financial state will be revealed over the coming weeks and Benitez is beginning to fear the worst, The Sun reports.
At the end of the season Benitez was hopeful of landing 27-year-old Villa. Now he not only has to face up to Chelsea signing Villa, but also targeting Torres.
Villa’s proposed move to Real Madrid has not gone through because Chelsea’s bid is 4 million pound higher and is preferred by debt- ridden Valencia.
Blues owner Roman Abramovich is prepared to take advantage of Liverpool’s own money worries by making the sort of offer he hopes Gillett and Hicks will not be able to refuse.
It is understood a tentative inquiry was made by a third party in April about how much it would cost to prise Torres away from Anfield.
The message from Liverpool at the time was that there was no chance of Torres being sold. Then in May the 25-year-old striker signed an improved deal to 2013.
If necessary, Ancelotti and Abramovich will settle for just landing Villa. But if there is even an outside chance of snatching Torres away from Anfield, they will take it. (ANI)
- Liverpool rejects 35 million pound Chelsea bid for Torres - Jan 28, 2011
- 'Benitez-built weak and short on talent Liverpool squad' - Apr 06, 2011
- Torres if leaves Liverpool will become world's most expensive footballer - Jan 03, 2010
- Abramovich personally funding to kick-start Chelsea's signing spree - Jan 30, 2011
- Chelsea's 'record signing non-performing' star Torres could face the axe: Ancelotti - Apr 09, 2011
- Torres urges Liverpool to let him join Chelsea - Jan 29, 2011
- Torres is worth 70, not 50 million pounds: Benitez - Feb 05, 2011
- Torres to quit if Liverpool fails to finish in top four - Dec 27, 2009
- Torres can join Chelsea for 50 million pounds - Jan 30, 2011
- Liverpool's American owners accept selling club now 'inevitable' - Oct 13, 2010
- Torres wanted to join Chelsea since last summer - Feb 02, 2011
- Kop legend Thompson wants players to threaten owners to increase transfer kitty - Mar 26, 2010
- Flop Torres cost Chelsea 75K pounds a minute - Apr 14, 2011
- Liverpool's Rafa to bid for Spanish striker David Villa - Aug 01, 2009
- Benitez threatens to quit if Torres walks out - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: 50 million, boss, carlo ancelotti, fernando torres, george gillett and tom hicks, gillett and hicks, june 21, london, money worries, owner roman abramovich, partner david, rafa benitez, real madrid, resolve, spain, striker, sun reports, third party, tom hicks liverpool