Chelsea return to top after win over Birmingham; Arsenal heldJanuary 28th, 2010 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 28 (DPA) Chelsea cruised to a 3-0 win over Birmingham City to return to the top of the English Premier League. While Arsenal were held to a goalless draw at Aston Villa, two goals from Frank Lampard and one from Florent Malouda sealed a comfortable win for Carlo Ancelotti’s side.
Chelsea and Arsenal had begun Wednesday level on points, but the evening’s results lifted Chelsea one point above Manchester United at the top, while Arsenal sit one point further back.
Malouda headed Chelsea in front after just five minutes on a nice cross from Joe Cole, and Lampard slotted in from 20 yards to double their lead just past the half-hour mark.
The England midfielder then banged in a third goal on 90 minutes to secure their return to the top.
Arsenal were frustrated by a stubborn Villa side and the home team’s woodwork, as they drew 0-0 at Villa Park.
Cesc Fabregas hit the post, and Tomas Rosicky struck the bar, while at the other end Stewart Downing headed a good chance for Villa just wide.
Villa remain seventh in the table, four points off a place in the top four.
In the night’s other matches, Everton moved into the top half after a 2-0 win over Sunderland, while Blackburn Rovers edged out Wigan Athletic 2-1.
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- United, Chelsea maintain pace as Arsenal stumble - Mar 28, 2010
- Title race wide open as leaders Chelsea humbled by Man City - Feb 28, 2010
- Drogba double takes Chelsea back to summit - Feb 08, 2010
- Chelsea's game is no more boring: Malouda - Jan 19, 2010
- Chelsea and City maintain flying starts - Sep 13, 2009
- Fabregas expected to play against Barcelona - Mar 07, 2011
- Chelsea sink Liverpool to go top; Arsenal score six - Oct 05, 2009
- Wigan strikes late to draw with Chelsea - Dec 18, 2011
- Chelsea coach Ancelotti hails magic Lamps after Birmingham win - Jan 28, 2010
- Chelsea lose at home to Villa - Jan 01, 2012
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Liverpool move to top in Premier League - Apr 05, 2009
- Leaders Chelsea held by Birmingham City; Man City win - Dec 27, 2009
Tags: aston villa, birmingham city, carlo ancelotti, cesc fabregas, english premier league, florent, four points, frank lampard, good chance, half hour, jan 28, joe cole, london jan, manchester united, midfielder, stewart downing, sunderland, tomas rosicky, villa park, woodwork