Chelsea ready to give the boot to `F’ ranting DrogbaMay 8th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 8 (ANI): Chelsea are ready to ditch Didier Drogba following his F-word rant against Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo in Wednesday’s Champions League KO.Plans to offer the Ivory Coast hitman, 31, a new contract have been scrapped and he now looks certain to leave Stamford Bridge.
Drogba’s current 91,000-pound-a-week deal ends next summer, but he will now be sold at the end of this season if Chelsea gets a decent offer.The striker and Michael Ballack face UEFA bans for angry protests against Ovrebo after he overlooked claims for four penalties as Chelsea’s European dreams were shattered by Barcelona.
Drogba confronted the ref and called him a ‘f*****g disgrace’ in front of millions watching on live television.
Coach Guus Hiddink defended his player by insisting: “I can fully understand the emotion of the moment.”
But Chelsea officials have lost patience with Drogba - who was sent off in last year’s Champions League final defeat against Manchester United - for his reaction to this latest upset.
They are deeply embarrassed by his temper tantrum, carried out in flip-flops after he ran back on to the pitch at the final whistle having been substituted with 18 minutes remaining.
The Chelsea hierarchy was keen to offload him last year after his red card in Moscow.
But injury scuppered a transfer to AC Milan and he played his way back into favour under Hiddink after starting this season in disagreement with previous boss Phil Scolari.
Under Hiddink he has been outstanding and his return to top form led the club to decide to offer him a new deal.
But he blew that out of the water with his unruly behaviour and instead will be offloaded a year early. (ANI)
- Drogba faces a big UEFA ban for F-word tirade at referee - May 07, 2009
- Hiddink asks Abramovich not to hit Drogba with heavy punishment - May 10, 2009
- Hiddink expected to join Chelsea soon - Jun 04, 2011
- For Abramovich, it could be Dutch on coach selection - Apr 14, 2011
- Drogba to get a new three-year contract at Chelsea - Jun 03, 2009
- UEFA asks referee at helm of Chelsea's knock out to refile report - May 10, 2009
- Guus Hiddink rules out dramatic Chelsea comeback - Apr 15, 2011
- Drogba's tantrums inspire creation of hit Internet game - May 11, 2009
- Hiddink rules out return to Stamford Bridge, suggests two Blues coaches - Apr 17, 2011
- Terry hails Chelsea's team spirit - Jan 12, 2010
- Drogba signs with Chelsea again for 100,000 pounds per week - Aug 05, 2009
- Chelsea on alert eyeing Hiddink's possible return - Mar 23, 2011
- Chelsea's Hiddink stands by Drogba - May 09, 2009
- Drogba signs with Shanghai Shenhua - Jun 20, 2012
- Yakubu set to join Chinese club - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: ac milan, angry protests, champions league, didier, disagreement, drogba, european dreams, f word, live television, manchester united, michael ballack, new contract, new deal, phil scolari, stamford bridge, striker, temper tantrum, tom henning, unruly behaviour, whistle