Chelsea buys Torres in British record transfer dealFebruary 1st, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 1 (ANI): Chelsea signed ace Spanish striker Fernando Torres for a staggering 50 million pounds, a British record transfer deal.
Chelsea’s swoop for Torres was part of an amazing day of dealing that saw the transfer window spending top 200 million pounds.
Liverpool lodged their own massive offer for Newcastle forward Andy Carroll, as they scrambled to replace Torres by the 11 p.m. deadline.
Experts said English clubs had already spent over 100 million pounds on players for the month - even before Monday’s deals. In the same period last year, they spent just 29 million pounds, The Sun reports.
Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand voiced astonishment, and compared the Carroll deal to Barcelona’s swoop for sensational Spanish striker David Villa.
He tweeted: “David Villa cost 34m… integral member of successful Spain team and played regular Champions League… UK market is crazy right now!”
Liverpool had earlier rejected a 50 million pound payment package of cash plus a Chelsea player in return for their star striker, before finally accepting a lump sum from Chelsea.
Torres said: “I am very happy with my transfer to Chelsea and I am looking forward very much to helping my new team-mates this season and for many years to come. I hope I can score some important goals for the supporters to enjoy.”
Chelsea also signed David Luiz from Benfica for 21 million pounds and announced a total loss of 70.9 million pounds for the year ending June 30, 2010.
As the bidding frenzy unfolded yesterday, football finance experts hit out at the trading.
David Bick, chairman of Square 1 Consulting, said: “People hit by the recession must think it’s obscene. Paying so much for players who haven’t proved themselves yet is off the scale.” (ANI)
- Liverpool rejects 35 million pound Chelsea bid for Torres - Jan 28, 2011
- Torres 'big club' dig at Liverpool - Feb 01, 2011
- Chelsea buys Benfica defender David Luiz for 21.5 million pounds - Feb 01, 2011
- Liverpool coach Dalglish wants Carroll as replacement for Torres - Jan 31, 2011
- Chelsea eye Torres swap deal - Feb 17, 2012
- Abramovich ready to fund 25 million pound bid for Kaka - Feb 12, 2011
- Torres can join Chelsea for 50 million pounds - Jan 30, 2011
- Liverpool snubs Chelsea's new offer of 42.5 million pounds plus striker for Torres - Jan 29, 2011
- Chelsea's midfielders are old and slow: Torres - Sep 10, 2011
- Dark cloud over Liverpool lifted with departure of Torres - Mar 24, 2011
- Torres urges Liverpool to let him join Chelsea - Jan 29, 2011
- Carroll confident of living up to 35 million pound price tag at Liverpool - Feb 04, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Chelsea, Barcelona compete for Torres - May 18, 2010
- Barcelona striker Villa out of Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
Tags: 50 million pounds, amazing day, astonishment, benfica, bidding frenzy, david bick, david luiz, english clubs, fernando torres, football finance, integral member, london feb, lump sum, manchester united, recession, rio ferdinand, square 1, star striker, swoop, team mates